Chapter Thirteen

They had been staring at each other for what seemed like hours, yet it had only been a few seconds before he broke the quiet.

"What are you doing here." he asked, but Katherina knew he wasn't. In his own subtle way, he was demanding.

Katherina blinked away the tears that had begun to form in her eyes.

"I thought I heard something, so I came to investigate," she lied. "But I see that it was nothing, so I'll let you get back to- um- whatever you were doing."

Katherina made her way to the doors, but before she could get three steps closer, she felt a strong hand touch her shoulder.

"Would you want to watch the sunset?"

Katherina was taken aback before swiftly nodding and accompanying him deeper into the Mountain.

She drew her knees to her chest, giving Azriel more space as he sat a few inches away.

They both gazed towards the sun as it slowly faded from view, but Katherina's eyes were drawn to him. His wings enchanting her.

As he sat, she could tell he was doing everything he could to keep his wings from contacting the ground.

Even when the sun set, revealing the Night Court's stars, Katherina couldn't take her gaze away from him.

He appeared to be a formidable opponent. Stronger than her father, Katherina challenged.  Everything around him screamed Danger.

Katherina, on the other hand, could see through his dangerously alluring features. He took a glance at her...

Damaged.

Angry.

Scared.

Hiding behind an emotionless veil. That mask was well-known to Katherina. Either from the Darkness or from herself.

Katherina attempted to turn away after realizing she was being watched, but she couldn't. Had no desire to do so. He glanced at her in a strange way... He was making a statement. Observing the source of her weakness.

Katherina returned his stare with an unreadable expression on her face.

He didn't demonstrate that he was taken aback by her abrupt audacity. Instead, he shifted his gaze back to the City of Starlight, breaking their stare-down.

The Court of Dreams was a beautiful place. When Katherina came to visit, she was always struck by its beauty.

Katherina could even recall the thousand-year-old enchantment that had been cast on the city.

A previous High Lord had sought to form a City of Dreams. By preventing anyone from exposing the secret of Velaris, he had casted a spell, Making sure, no one could ever speak of the City of Starlight.

And it has stayed that way for many moons.

The enchantment, on the other hand, had never stopped Katherina from telling Ziv about it.

She could recall their expressions when she told them stories of a magical world filled with stars and lights...

"I swear I'll take you there someday!" Twelve year old Katherina stated pleasantly.

She smiled to herself. Feeling the familiar twist in her stomach whenever she thought of her old friend.

Katherina stood up abruptly, quietly dusting herself off of any dirt before turning to face Azriel. Her face locked in a look of apathy.

"It's late, You should go rest," she remarked.

However Azriel said nothing, just looking up at Katherina, confusion swarming in his eyes.