Chapter Twenty-Five

The sun glowed through the open spots of the trees as Katherina and Caldor walked within them, their leather shining against the light. The air was thick and fresh, the smell of pine filling their lungs.

Just a few hours ago, Katherina had hugged her family goodbye, not wanting to push her luck as she crossed the border of the Night Court into the Day. Her father was hesitant into letting her go yet thankfully she managed to remind him that she spent the last fifthteen years alone.

Though he tried to hide it, Katherina didn't miss the wince her comment gave him. She pretended not to notice how tense the room had gotten or how everyone turned their heads down.

She couldn't understand why they couldn't look her in the eyes after that, it was just the truth.

She flinched, Maybe she could have softened that a bit more.

Truth hurts and yours is painful, It echoed in her head. Katherina breathed, slightly tripping as her foot caught between a lifted root.

The Court of Day is like a land of riches. The plants, the soil, the trees, the rocks, the water- glowed of gold. Just as the Summer court sparkled of jewels. 

"I heard that the water was so enchanting, the Fae believed it to be filled with crystals and gems," Ziv exaggerated to her. Katherina simply rolled her eyes, "No such beauty exists."

Ziv walked closer to her, shifting from their female to their male back again. Their breath touched her face, "Wouldn't you like to find out?"

Katherina grinned, "Then what are we waiting for?"

And which Ziv was right, the Summer court was a fantasy, one filled with stones of colors and water of youth.

Katherina had visited almost every court in Prythian.

The Night Court was of Moon, Stars, dreams and darkness.

The Dawn Court filled her mind with sunrises and sunsets, the sky's pastels colors blending in a beautiful painting.

The Autumn Court was like fire, burning with emotions of red, yellow and orange. The air was humid and cold and yet the nature around her, the animals- were full of warmth and heat.

Winter had traumatized Katherina of smoke and blood, yet she could remember visions of frozen rain, stilled lakes of ice, peaceful and comforting breezes. Like diamonds covering the land with the name of snow.

"Oh Bless the Cauldron," Katherina breathed out. Her skin was burning with pleasure, something she rarely got to enjoy. The beautiful feeling of being able to strip herself of her clothes and enjoy the nakedness the water promised. It kissed her whole body, sweat and stressed muscles relaxing under its shameless touch.

Just across from her, she heard Ziv's heartily laugh.

The area surrounding them was a field. Trees planted around them just a few feet away, Their leaves still vibrant and alive, the warmth of the steaming pool where Katherina and Ziv rested, melting away the ice and snow.

It has been days since Katherina and Ziv have had the opportunity to relax. Their bags of stored food already finished, their weapons and traps, old and withered. Yet, they did not care.

The only sound was of birds chirping and water echoing.

"Let's stay here forever," Ziv pleaded. Katherina chuckled, indigo eyes colliding with Ziv's unusual dark blue and black sclera eyes.

"Fine," She responded, "Though if this is going to work, you'll do all the working and harvesting and I'll take care of the kids." Ziv smiled at that.

"Isn't it strange for a couple of Fae's to live together when each wears no promise?"

Katherina faked gasped, "Is that a proposal, my love? It needs work if this marriage is going to last."

With that, Katherina and Ziv's laughter rang amongst the forest. What Katherina wouldn't do for Ziv. Over the years, they were the only family the other had.

Sure, when Katherina visited the Night court, it pained her to see her blood family together without her though, slowly, Katherina has been growing from that. Even if she and Ziv may not bear rings or make any vows of love for the other, they would always be together.

They'd protect, fight and die for the other. They were both each of the other halves and if one of them died or was killed, the other would live a world of black and white, each day maddening them into insanity.

Katherina and Ziv didn't love each other like lovers or mates did, for their love was much greater. They do not kiss, their skin and bodies wouldn't join and mold together in one moment of ecstasy. They were family- they were each other's family.

Swimming towards them, Katherina curled her body closer, her legs entangling with theirs, her skin sticking to theirs as she rested her head on their shoulder. White and copper, ice and flame colliding. There was no shame, no embarrassment as they both comfored in each other.

"Promise me this is forever," Katherina whispered. Her hand resting on Ziv's thigh, in return, They wrapped their arms around her, Their chest resting on Katherina's bare back.

"Okay,"

The sounds of people yelling at them as guards came closer towards them. Katherina couldn't keep her squeals of laughter as she and Ziv hurried out of the pool, the cold air hitting their hot skin.

They quickly grabbed their clothes, not caring as they ran naked towards the forest, Ziv changed into his male form, turning to flick off the guards.

At that moment Katherina let herself feel rare happiness. She hopes it never ends.

"What are you smiling about?" Caldor asked, not realizing just how handsome he looked in the Court of day, skin, tattoo, wings, all matching the gold the Day brought.

Katherina mind came back to reality, "Just remembering old memories,"

They could see the outline of a small city, Faes of brown and well toned skins matching the wonder around them. The air now smelled of pastries and sun, Katherina's leather starting to stick to her skin.

Caldor placed his hand in hers, "Will you tell me about them?"

She smiled, leaning in so their foreheads touch, an understanding between them.

"Someday."