Chapter Twenty

Caldor had always wanted to be a warrior.

He had always wanted to protect those who were afraid to stand up. Comfort those who need the reassurance that everything will be okay.

His mother was one he couldn't protect.

His mother was the one he wanted to tell that everything was going to be okay.

Since he was a kid, he could remember his father always coming home all sweaty and scarred.

A warrior he said.

A warrior was what he was.

What a sorry excuse for one.

A warrior's job is to protect those who are unable to protect themselves.

A warrior is supposed to be a symbol of protection and hope.

Everything his father wasn't.

He was abusive and cruel.

He'd beat them instead of sheltering them until everything was a gory mess. Instead of being kind and caring, all he exposed himself to was a coward.

A monster

A monster who killed his mother.

A monster who then killed himself because he couldn't take the loss...

Since then, Caldor vowed to never be like him. Vowed to kill all monsters who threaten his city.

So he trained.

Trained until his muscle would turn to liquid, until his heart might explode.

Trained to remind him to never be weak again.

But that was until he met her.

She made him weak, made him vulnerable.

He knew from when he saw her, she would break him. Break him into a million pieces until there was nothing left.

He didn't mind it one bit.

She was beautiful, enchanting. Out of a dream.

And she was burning.

She was burning in a flame of agony and blood. Her hair was a representation of the fire.

Yet her eyes... Her eyes look like the sea.

Deep and unknown. But also kind and soft.

All he wanted to do was dive into them and get lost in them for the rest of his life.

Her skin was milky white, as if she had been carved out of the Moon and Stars. And her voice, like a sweet addicting lullaby he wanted to listen to forever.

Please pray to the Mother that he didn't fall to his knees right away.

But when her indigo eyes rested on him, he realized he needed to get down on his knees. Because she was revealed to be the Night's High Princess.

"Can you tell me your name?" She asked.

"Caldor, High Princess,"

"OK, enough with the flirting. Return to your training, everyone!" His commander screamed angrily.

He couldn't get her out of his head for the rest of the day.

Which was bad. Really bad.

He shouldn't be thinking about her like this. Who was one, way out of his league and second, was High Princess of the Night Court.

The only thing he should be thinking about her is how to keep her safe.

Yet he couldn't help but wonder if they were flirting.