Chapter Twenty-Three

Katherina walked through the snow, ignoring the stinging sensation of ice digging into her skin. She felt her body tremble with every small breeze. The loud 'boom' ringing in her ears, her skin stained and ashed.

Though she ignored it, the pain, the hurt. Pictures of the accidental flashing with every blink she took. The smell stuck in her scent and nose. The smoke in her lungs, making each breath harder than the last.

She wasn't sure how long it's been or how far she walked, she just wanted the pain to go away. It's weight trying to push her down harder and harder until she's on her knees.

Eventually, the wind died down for a minute, giving her a clear view of a small cave a few feet from her. Katherina slid against the hard stone in the far back of the cave, craving the small warmth it had.

She laid there unmoving, the only sound of her soft breathing. Her heart began pounding rapidly as reality started to hit. The gut clenching feeling too powerful to bear. Tears seemed to fall down her face as Katherina tried to hold in her agony.

Silent screams fighting their way up her throat. She took off her ring, throwing it against the ground, black smoke coming from its broken pieces.

Katherina gripped her arms in hopes to quiet her sobs, digging her nails into her skin as fire burned in her throat. She wanted to scream, she wanted to break the cave until it was dust.

She felt a shadow step into the cave, softly trying to uncurl hands from her arms but Katherina wouldn't budge. She shut her eyes tightly, wishing the tears would stop flowing as she felt them brush her hair.

Warmth sank into her bones as the being stood kneeling in front of Katherina. Their shadows comforted her.

She knew he knew what had happened. Didn't push her to talk, to move, nothing. Let her slowly cry out softly, but when she couldn't hold in anymore, opened her mouth and tried to speak, a scream tore out her soul.

By miles, this scream was heard. Pain and loss thundering against her as an endless wave. Katherina felt like crying for hours, days, months. Her screams getting softer by just minutes yet the pain burning evermore harder.

At one point, she was drained. Tired. Drowning in memories of the past that was just moments ago.

A hand rested against her cheek, turning her face towards the Darkness.

"Take me somewhere else," she whispered, her voice soft that only a God could hear her.

"I can't be here...It hurts too much."

Without a word, The Darkness invaded her senses until she felt herself falling in a place of warmth. Here, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, the river danced- everything just seemed to glow of life.

Katherina no longer smelt of blood and smoke. Her clothes weren't ripped or burned.
She was dressed in a gown of white, small dandelions braided into her hair.

But Katherina made no move to get up, instead laying on her back as she stared up at the sky.

She didn't know where she was, and it didn't matter.

Tears again formed in her eyes however she managed to keep them in. Emptiness filling her soul as she felt sleep pull her in. Inviting her to rest from the past and she didn't stop it.

***

"Nervous?"

Katherina rolled her eyes as Caldor strolled over to her, watching her with careful eyes. He stopped just a few feet from her, his wings already healed and scar free. Just a few moments ago, Katherina had spotted him from her window, soaring through the clouds as though the accident never happened.