Chapter Twenty-Eight

When Katherina had kissed him, Caldor felt like he was the luckiest male to ever walk the earth. It was no surprise to himself that he had fallen in love with the High Princess of the Night Court.

Katherina was a survivalist. She was intelligent and strong.

Pale, though not in a sickly way. She glowed. She looked like a star in a Fae body. With her porcelain skin, he noticed the scars.

That's how he knew.

When he saw how she wore the dress at her coronation, her jewels, her crown. He knew this was all new to her. She was used to leather, and calico. Not silk and velvet.

Katherina was lean and sculpted.

Each step she walked was soundless. When she breathed, it was quiet. When she looked, she observed everything. Each little detail, any sign.

And yet, no matter how unfamiliar she was to her new status, she adapted to it very fast. No challenge is too difficult for her.

Caldor fell for her instantly.

So when she asked him to accompany her to explore the Courts, there was no hesitation.

Anything she asked, he would do. Any challenge she gives him, he'll win it. Any question she asks, he'll answer. Any request, he would never say no.

Caldor wanted to explore more of Katherina. Understand her past, be part of her future. He hoped with their new found romance and getaway, he would learn more about her.

They'd spent a few days in the Day court, and already Caldor felt like he was seeing the real Katherina.

This Katherina was wild. When she walked down the streets, she smiled. She never stopped when they would enter a shop or eat in a restaurant.

When the sun would shine over her, warming her already hot, sweaty skin, Katherina still smiled. Everything about her screamed, free. She was free.

She seemed to also recognize some Fae for they would smile and greet her. Caldor knew that though Katherina was now High Princess of Night, the news couldn't have gone out so quickly and even so, unless anyone lived in the Court of Night. They would have no idea how she looked.

She had been here before. Katherina had roamed Day.

She looked like she ruled the Day. She shined, she glowed, she was free.

Caldor wished more than anything for the day not to end. As they walked back to their apartment, he felt the heavy need to fall asleep.

Though as instinct, he made sure to keep a wary watch for anything suspicious or someone following. Once they made it, he let out a sigh of relief. Until Katherina tapped his shoulder.

"You go ahead and rest, I will return shortly," she said, kissing his cheek.

"Is everything alright?" he asked. Trying to calm his racing heart. Caldor was right, Katherina was making him weak. Though when he put some thought into it, he didn't really care.

"Everything is perfect," she said.

Caldor nodded before giving her a small kiss, letting himself enjoy the feeling of her soft lips against his, the action not helping his speeding heart. When she let go, he made sure to wait until she was out of his sight when he closed the door.

Caldor trusted Katherina. If she was in danger, he knew that she could handle it and if she couldn't, she'd find a way to reach him.

Katherina knew more around the court then he did, which also meant that if she needed to run, she'd know where to hide.

However, it wasn't just that when he said he trusted her to be by herself in a strange court.

Caldor had seen it.

Her power.

Katherina could bring down armies, High Lords and ladies if she wanted. All to their knees.

He had been walking, patrolling the streets of Velaris when he heard it. Saw it.

Dark clouds suddenly appearing in the sky, swirling over the House of Wind. Thunder shaking the ground, the rumble making Caldor trip. People stopped and gassed, for they too saw what was happening.

It was unlike anything he'd seen. The weather changing so quickly, the force so brutal.

He had seen the High General at full power, the Spymaster, his High Lord.

They looked like Kings.

Demanding shadows and darkness. Controlled Life and Death.

Caldor was about to go back to camp, calling units to the House of Wind, for maybe their High Lady and Lord were in trouble but he saw it.

Her.

She commanded the clouds, the lighting, the thunder. The wind, the earth, the fire.

Water circled around her, electricity along with it and she was in the middle.

Burning, blue flame like he had never seen. She was burning, her voice, her screams- echoing in the sky.

She was crying, she was stressed, she was powerful, she was unstoppable.

Until she stopped.

All on her own.

Just as she calmed, so did the wind. The clouds disappeared, the thunder stopped, the shaking, it all stopped.

Now it was silent. Her power was silent, she was silent.

Somehow that was worse.

If she could stop herself, if she could bear whatever pain was happening to her.

Caldor didn't- couldn't imagine when she did break. What she could unleash.

When it was done, everyone still seemed shaken on what exactly happened. What should they do?

And when nothing happened, they moved on.

But he hadn't.

Caldor heated a hot bath, careful with his wings as he settled. Watching the steam build up the room. The relaxing feeling of soap against his skin as he washed the dirt away.

Careful with his tattoo as he rubbed it clean.

He wondered if Katherina had any tattoos, or if she wanted any.

When his head had hit the pillow, Caldor was out like a light. Letting his mind fill with dreams of him and Katherina together.

The bed tipped lightly as he felt another weight settle in. The familiar scent of wood, river and orange. He knew it was Katherina.

Rolling onto his right side, he slid one wing over her, careful to put space between them. She muttered a quiet 'thanks' before falling into oblivion.

Using some magic to enhance the protection spell on their apartment, Caldor fell asleep with her. 

_________________

Another Caldor POV! 

Should I start doing more of them? Along with other new characters?