Chapter Seventeen

Katherina woke to light shining from her curtains. Some of its rays landed on her. Part of her wanted to stay in the warmth of her blankets, but another knew that if she didn't get up, someone would come and get her.

Which, when she considered it, didn't sound so horrible. She told Mor and Feyre, however, that she wanted to go out.

Somehow, Katherina found the strength to roll off of the bed.

She splashed some water on her face before getting changed.

A week away.

It was only a week away that she would be revealed to the world as the new and first Princess of the Night Court. The First Princess in History.

Katherina sighed, feeling a sting pain in her shoulder. Whenever Katherina would stress out about something, her shoulders would start to ache. And no matter what oil or cream she would try, it never worked.

A yawn left her mouth. God, what she do to just to sleep a few hours more...

Another yawn.

Perhaps a hot bath might help her wake up.

***

The city of Velaris was bathed in sunlight. Mor and Feyre walked alongside her. Katherina didn't wear her customary clothes because it was a scorching day. Instead, she wore a skin-tight dark tawny dress that reached down to her thighs and had coffee-colored buttons in the front.

She also donned a pair of little golden earrings and a couple of gold rings. Her hair is pulled back into a messy bun.

Katherina chose to bring Mor and Feyre with her since she needed a gown for the Night Court. Mor, who had a questionable fashion sense, invited herself and Feyre, whom Katherina decided she should bring because he was a High Lady.

They'd seen a few gowns, but none of them had piqued Katherina's interest.

One was completely black, with a 'V' neckline that ended at Katherina's navel. Even when the sun shone on it, it didn't sparkle or gleam. It appeared to be formed of shadow. Stopping at her knees.

Another was Navi blue, which revealed her entire back while stopping just over her hips. This one, unlike the last, shined. It came to a halt at her ankles.

The next one was Morrigan's color. However, from the way she kept looking at it, Katherina thought it best if she had it.

The day eventually grew tiresome. They eventually came to a halt at Rita's for a quick bite and to rest their feet. (Katherina more so than the others.)

"Do you have anything on your mind?" Feyre asked, as she sat across Katherina. In her hands, a refreshing pink-yellow beverage.

"I'm just a little nervous," Katherina shrugged.

Katherina swirled her glass, watching the ice fight each other.

"Did you ever wonder if your parents' faults would have an impact on who you are?" Katherina questioned uncomfortably. "Or How could they affect you? Or how they might portray you to the rest of the world?"

Feyre seemed to take in her words.

"Well, I never met my mother, but I knew she did things she shouldn't have done, and my father did the same.

"If you're worried about how your parents' choices may affect you, all you have to do is learn from them."

For a brief period, everything fell silent. If one were to ignore the sounds of passing people or the flapping of illyrians in the sky.