Chapter Twenty-Two

The Wind blew against Caldor as he soared through the skies. The sun is just starting to come up over the Mountains, illuminating Velaris. Covering it in gold and yellow. As though the colors were being painted slowly.

It rained last night, so when the sun finally rested above him, he could see how the small water droplets shone like Diamonds under him.

He watched as Children laughed and played in the streets, celebrating yet again, another day. A day of peace and freedom.

He smiled at couples who kissed the other good morning. The small blush on their partners face and the slight smirk on the others.

It was these moments that Caldor enjoyed.

The sun beating down on him, the wind flying with him and the sounds of joy and laughter in his ears.

He flew up towards the clouds, letting the softness slide over his wings as Caldor flew over to the House of Wind.

There, on the roof, was his partner. His friend.

Over the years he's known her, the innocent curious girl had grown to become the wise and powerful female she is now. Her skin once hard and scarred, now soft and bruiseless. Her eyes now harden with experience and adventure of the world around her.

She smiled brightly at him, her whole being lighting up as he grinned at her.

"Ready?"

She laughed, the sound so sweet to his ears.

"Always"

Then Katherina jumped.

***

Caldor woke up to the sun. Its rays shining down on him, warming one part of his battled body, leaving the other cold.

His head screamed at him as he moved to sit upward. However, the best he managed was resting atop his elbows.

As his eyes stopped blurring, he managed to get a good view on his whereabouts.

The room was big. The walls and floor are both walnut wood, with lights hanging above him in the shapes of stars. Or tears.

From across him, was a bookcase. The colors of each different book mixed all together. Most of them were dark, Except for one or two books he saw in pink or yellow. Red, Blue, Green, purple, etc.

It looked like a painting, and when Caldor, ( By some miracle ) managed to walk towards them and took one out, he noticed that the reader marked each page that they preferred, with a slight bend at the end or top of the book.

He smiled softly when he gazed at the title.

He didn't really take her as a romance type. Then again, he never would have thought he'd fallen for the High Princess of the Night Court.

The door across him began to open, and just as if they heard, there she was.

Katherina.

She looked to be carved from the moon herself, just as he had pictured in his dreams.

She rushed up to him, a look of relief on her face.

Slowly, he wrapped his arms around her, savoring her heat. She had a scent of snow, and flowers, and sunlight.

They didn't say anything as they embraced each other.

As he clutched her tighter, he saw his tears flow down her shoulder, images of that night replaying in his mind.