7

Liam's POV

The paranoia was only getting worse.

It went from only feeling people following me when I came home from work to feeling them every time I went outside but this time I got smart.

I was going to prove to myself that no one was following me.

The plan might have been stupid but since no one was actually following me and I had no way to get hurt, it didn't matter so I did it anyway.

Just before I got the apartment building I cut across the street and walked right into an alley. My heart began to speed up a bit as I sat down behind a dumpster.

If an actual person were following me, they would take this as a way to corner me and do what ever the hell they wanted but since this wasn't a real person, I didn't have to worry about that.

I gave myself a few minutes and after a while nothing happened. No one even walked in front of the alleyway.

Part of me had hoped I would feel better after I proved that no one was there but now that it happened it really just confirmed that I was going crazy.

I was just about to get up and leave so I could cry to myself in the shower before calling Andrew when I heard someone step into alley.

My heart sped up as I froze.

My nails dog into my arms as I tried to keep myself from panicking.

"I should have known you would figure it out. You were always too good at knowing when you were being tailed," a man's voice called out as he walked closer to the dumpster.

The panic I had felt was instantly gone at the sound of his voice.

I could tell it was Jem. It had been two years but I would always be able to recognize his voice, yet I wasn't sure if I liked that he was here or not.

The last time I saw him re played in my mind as he slowly came closer.

Me in tears as I clung onto him while Patrick tried to drag me off of him while he told me to just suck it up.

I always thought if I ever saw Jem again I would kick him in the balls but when he kneeled in front of me, I just stared at him.

He hadn't changed at all. He still had a scar under his left eye from a knife fight. His hair was still dyed black, his eyes were still green, and it still didn't seem like he's seen the sun in five years.

"So are you just going to keep staring at me or should I just get up and leave now," he asked with his usual smile.

"You fucking prick," I all but yell with a scowl as my hand goes to slap his face. He only laughs as he catches my hand. "Do you have any idea how scared I was? I thought I was going crazy you fucking asshole!" Jem only laughs harder as he lets go of my hand and stands up.

"I just wanted to check in on you," he said with a sad smile as he looked down at me before giving me his hand and helping me up.

"You've been following me for two weeks. That seems like a bit more than just checking in."

"Fine, at first I was just checking in. Then I got to thinking about how lonely I've been with my best guy taken away so I just kept coming back."

"How much work has Devon been doing for you while you were 'checking in'?"

"Literally all of it. I think he's going to kill me if I don't stop shoving it onto him."

The two of us stand in silence for a second, neither of us really knowing what to say.

"How's the gang looking," I ask after a while. Jem only shrugged.

"I'm not going to tell you that. You'll be following me back into all of it if I told even half the shit that's been happening. Like I said, I just came to make sure you were doing all right. I know your roommate will be back soon so I'll see you around," he said as he went to turn around.

My heart sped up at the thought of him leaving already. My hand moved on it's own as I grabbed his arm.

"He won't be home for a few more minutes. And I can tell him that I'll be a few minutes late. Maybe we could go do something and catch up some more?"

Jem sighed as he turned back around.

"Liam, I really didn't mean to start shit. I just missed you and wanted a few minutes. We both know that if we are around each other for too long you'll come back with me."

"Why is that such a bad thing?"

"Because it's a fucking gang Liam," he said with a small chuckle. "Let's not forget the whole reason why I sent you with that cop. You think I want to see you bleeding out on the ground because of me?"

"You sent me away because you were a pussy. It had nothing to do with Barrett taking the bullet for me." Jem only frowned. "I'm not asking to come back. I just want a few more minutes with you before you run off."

"And what would that therapist of yours say if he found out?"

"He doesn't have to find out."

"That's not the point."

"He wouldn't like it," I admit with my own frown, making Jem smile a bit at him being right about something. "But he would let me see you anyway. Only for a few times at first, then he would see if it's helping or making things worse."

Jem was on the fence and we both knew it. He wanted to catch up with me just as bad as I wanted to.

"Just 5 more minutes. I promise." Jem sighed as he sat back down on the ground before pulling out a cigarette and lighting it.

"So tell me about those roommates."

Ryder's POV

"Liam's running a bit late," Callum noted when he looked around the apartment and noticed he wasn't here yet.

"Yea he texted me a few minutes ago. He said someone forgot they worked today so he has to stay late until they show up."

"Well that sucks. Has Jax made it in yet?"

"Yea he's in the shower. He's been acting kind of weird today."

"What kind of weird," Callum asked with a frown as he sat down on the couch.

"It could be because he was tired but he's almost reacting slower." Callum's frown deepened at that just as Jax walked out of the shower. He had a smile but something didn't feel right. Jax was still clearly up front but still.

"Is Liam still not here yet? I'm ready to go on our date."

"He should be here in a few more minutes. Go put some clothes on before Callum changes our plans and decided to mount you instead." Jax only smirked at that as he takes his towel off and walks back to the bedroom, leaving Callum with a small tent and a glare.

"Should we call Liam or something," Callum asks as he looks back down at his phone to check the time. "He should have been home half an hour ago. That's kind of a long time for someone to get to work."

I don't even have time to answer before the door is opening, revealing an overly happy Liam.

"Good day at work," Callum asked skeptically.

"Yea it was great. I met a new guy there today he made the day pass by a lot faster. I might hang out with him after work tomorrow."

"That's awesome," I say as I get up to hug him. "I'm glad it was a little less terrible today."

"Now if you need to do anything, do it now. We're going on a date," Callum said with a smile of his own as he came up and gave Liam a kiss on the head.

We were out the door only a few minutes later.

Callum stood on one side while Jax stood on the other. Liam walked beside Callum since Callum had trapped him in a side hug since he got to the apartment.

"How are you feeling," Jax asked as he got farther away from the apartment.

"I'm okay. It's a lot better with everyone here," I admit as I look up at him. I can't help the small smile that found its way onto my face when he leaned down gave me a quick peck on the lips.

"God I like you much," he says as he pulls me farther into his side. My heart soars at that.

"I like you so much too."

Last updated June 24, 2021