Another Close One

"Padmé," Anakin said, jogging up to Padmé. She walked ahead of him on their way to his ship. It was dark and rainy outside, and they both had their cloaks and hoods on. He grabbed her shoulder and turned her around to face him.

"Anakin, not now," Padmé said, turning back around.

"No," he said, turning her around again. "What's wrong? And why did you put Ventress into jail that quickly? I mean, that's a good thing, but-"

"I put her in prison because she needs to pay the price for her wrong and foolish acts." Tears filled her eyes as she walked ahead once again.

He ran to the front of her and held her face in his hands once he stopped her.

"Anakin, we're still in public," she warned. She pushed his hands down and looked down. "Can we get out of the rain and go inside the sh-"

"Padmé, what's wrong?"

"My stomach... it's... upset," she whispered.

"We'll go... oh, okay. Get a trash can."

They walked to the ship. Padmé got the trash can and Anakin went to the front of the ship to prepare for take off. He heard Padmé throw up in the trash can in the back. He winced. Oh no, he thought. Is she going to do that every day now? was his second thought. "You okay?" he called back to her.

When he looked back, Padmé gave him a weak thumbs up and a small smile, holding the trash can in her other arm.

He got up and walked to the back to help her. He kissed her temple. "It's okay," he told her. "I'm right here. Here, lie down." She lie down and felt her forehead, it being flaming hot. He covered her with his cloak. "Let's go home. Sound good?" Padmé nodded.

Anakin walked to the front and sat down, looking up and pressing buttons above him. "R2, give the engine a boost, will you?"

R2-D2 whistled happily and obeyed his master.

"Thanks, buddy." Anakin took off, and in five minutes, they were home. "Padmé, we're home," he called back to her.

He carried her limp body back inside and set her down gingerly on the couch, with R2 following closely behind. A noise from their bedroom startled him.

"Mistress Padmé, Master Ani! You're home! Oh! Mistress, Padmé, what hap-"

"3PO, go make her some tea. She's sick."

"Are you sure that's really what it is, or-"

"Just go! And you too, R2. Go make sure he doesn't make a mess in there," Anakin said.

R2 whistled lowly in disappointment, but still followed directions. Once they were gone, and he kissed Padmé on the forehead. "Feeling okay?" he asked.

She opened her eyes slowly and looked at him. "No," she croaked.

"I'm going to go get some herbs and medicine for you. I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too, Ani," she said.

"You're strong, Padmé," he said, tucking a stray hair behind her ear. Just then, the droids came back out with the tea. Anakin shot up quickly. "Thank you," he said, taking the tea before they spilled it all over the floor.

Anakin cleared his throat. "Alright, you two, I'm going out to get some things for Padmé. If she needs anything, get it for her right away, no delay. Got it?"

They nodded.

"Good." Anakin pulled his cloak on and his hood over his head, which cast a shadow over his face. "Take good care of her while I'm gone."