Late-Night Reunion

That night, the Skywalker family all settled in their beds. The crib was finished, which became Luke's. The twins were in their separate cribs sleeping, which were on the wall on Padmé's side of Anakin and Padmé's bed. They were facing each other, the two shorter sides of the cribs together lined up.

As for Anakin and Padmé, they slept peacefully, facing their newborn twins. Anakin had his arm wrapped around Padmé, laying on his side. Her hand was clasped around Anakin's.

It was about 3:00 in the morning, still, of course, very dark outside, and surprisingly, not much traffic.

Occasionally lights would light up the blinds dimly, ships passing.

Anakin's comlink repeatedly lit up, and it started to make noise. He opened his eyes slowly in response to the faint noise. Lazily, he pulled left arm out from under his pillow. He gingerly pulled his right arm away from Padmé's hand, leaning over and kissing her on the cheek. He quietly rose from his bed, stretching and walking into the bathroom. He lightly coded the door.

"What?" he whispered through his comlink.

"Master," Ahsoka's voice said. "Can you come to the Temple?"

"You're already there? You must've left really quietly this morning, because I didn't hear you at all. And by the way, thanks to you, I almost woke up the kids and wife!" he hissed.

"'The Wife'?" Ahsoka laughed. "Okay, Master. I'm just asking you to come."

"Why? I'll be coming in what...1 or 2 hours from now anyway."

"It doesn't hurt to be early, does it? After all, you can start to make up all of the times you've been late."

Anakin rolled his eyes. "Hey, those times I was late were always worth it. Obi-Wan just doesn't understand."

"Worth it, 'ey?" Ahsoka joked.

"Shut up," he said. "Just... tell me what you want me there for."

"Just come."

"Oh my Force," he said, running his hand down the back of his hair. "Is it really that big of a deal?"

Ahsoka laughed again. "No. I just love making you mad."

"Yeah, I know that. I've known that ever since you talked to me for the first time."

"Whatever! Just come soon. Uh oh. Here comes Hazel. Gotta go."

Anakin heard faint shuffling outside the bathroom door, and crying.

"Uh oh. Here comes The Wife. Gotta go, too. Bye."

"Bye," Ahsoka said, smirking.

Anakin clicked off, and opened the door to the bedroom. He bumped into Padmé, who was standing in front of him. The bathroom light shined brightly.

Padmé squinted. "Ani, what are you doing?" she whispered.

"Sorry, I guess I was kind of loud."

"Yeah. You were."

Luke sat crying in her arms.

"Luke," Anakin said, kneeling down lower to look at him.

Luke, surprisingly, smiled at his father.

"Hey! There's a smile!" Anakin rubbed Luke's tiny head playfully.

Leia laid quietly in her crib, staring at the ceiling. Anakin saw her moving.

He rubbed his eyes. "Hey, Princess is up now, too."

He walked over to her crib, leaning over it. "Good morning, Leia."

"Ani, don't encourage her. It's only 3:30 in the morning. She needs to go back to sleep."

"Leia, I have to go now. I'll be back later." Anakin kissed Leia's forehead.

"Hey, little dude. I gotta go," he said to Luke, kissing him on the top of his head. He was still in Padmé's arms, leaning against her chest.

Anakin walked to his closet, pulling his boots out. He sat on the edge of the bed, and pulled his boots on. He started to walk out the door, but Padmé grasped her hand around his arm and turned him around.

"Forgetting something?" she asked, pursing her lips.

"Oh." He leaned down and kissed Padmé, but as he let go, she pulled his collar, kissing him again.

"Satisfied?" he asked, adjusting his collar.

"Mmm," Padmé hesitated. "I guess."

"Yeah, well, I hate to say it, again, but I have to go. I love you, Angel."

"I love you, too, Jedi."

He kissed her again.

"You're adorable," Padmé remarked.

Anakin smirked and looked at her. "Thanks?"

"You're welcome."

He waved at her and the twins and walked out to find out what Ahsoka wanted.