Helpless

"Anakin. Anakin, wake up. Pack your things," Obi-Wan said.

Anakin squinted at Obi-Wan. "What?"

"It's our last day. Remember?"

"Oh. Yeah," Anakin said. "I'm getting up now," he said, waving Obi-Wan away.

"Alright, I'll be packing my things also. See you soon." Obi-Wan's boots thudded on the floor of Anakin's ship as he walked out.

The night before, Anakin had had a dream about Padmé. Well, really it was about Clovis, and Anakin felt that he was haunting him. It was weird. Anakin knew that Clovis wasn't the guy to be in a nightmare, he was the least bit scary.

This is how Anakin's dream went:

It started out in a fancy restaurant. Clovis and Padmé were eating dinner there. Clovis, being his usual flirty self, but there was something wrong here. Padmé was, too, flirting. What? This can't be right. Anakin came into the restaurant.

"Padmé, let's go," he had said, seizing her arm.

"No! I want to stay here, with Clovis," Padmé had responded in the dream.

Anakin had took his hand off of her arm, horrified at what she had said.

"I told you you would have to accept that the Senator has other feelings than you, Jedi," Clovis had said.

"No!" Anakin said.

"Yes, oh yes!" Clovis cackled.

"Goodbye, Anakin. We can't be together anyway. Im telling the Jedi Council of your wrongdoings! Soon enough, you'll be kicked out of the Order and left alone." Padmé had said, also cackling.

"No! Padmé, no! Nooooooo!" Anakin had yelled.

Then, his first dream transitioned to another dream.

Padmé was screaming in agony, and Anakin couldn't get to her. He was locked up in chains, watching her die. He was being held by a Sith lord, and a powerful one. Anakin watched Padmé suffer under something he hadn't figured out, because he had woken up, sweating.

His two dreams had been the worst ones yet. He never wanted to witness those again.

He shook his head, thinking about other things. He went back to packing.

Once Anakin was finished, he zipped his suitcase closed and put it in the compartment over his bed. He leaned out the door of the ship. "Obi-Wan! Are we about ready to go?"

Obi-Wan looked up from carrying supplies back to his ship. "Not yet! We still have to gather the last of the research!"

Anakin nodded. "Got it."

***********************************

Padmé, Bail, Jar Jar, Mon Mothma, Mas Amedda and the Chancellor all stood in his office.

"I propose that we blast the last of what's left of the base. Then will the Separatists find out they can't get any more information out of the Republic."

"No!" Padmé said, a little to loudly. "We can't. Three Jedi are there researching. They're leaving today! They already dug up the last of the remnants."

"Chancellor, I'm afraid that this doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If Senator Amidala says that the Jedi already have finished the job, then we mustn't create more havoc by blowing it up. There would be no point!" Bail argued. "I agree with Senator Amidala. We can't do this."

The Chancellor looked around at them. "I suppose you're right."

The pressure in Padmé's chest lifted in relief. She was so afraid that they were going to follow through with the original plan.

"You're all dismissed," the Chancellor said.

As soon as Padmé left the room, her comlink she'd been carrying lit up. It startled her, and knowing that the only line in this comlink connected to Anakin, she walked to her office quickly. The door shut, and she answered. "General Skywalker. It's so great to talk to you," she said, trying not to sound too excited. She stepped away from the door and walked to her desk.

"You too," Anakin's deep voice came through.

"I thought you said not to call you during the day."

"It's different. I'm calling you."

"But-"

"Whatever. Listen, I have to go to the Temple and unload a bunch of stuff and then...wait, where are you?"

"I'm in my office, by myself."

"Anyway, and then I'll be home."

Padmé smiled. "I can't wait. See you later. I love you."

"You too," Anakin said.

Padmé leaned against her desk, satisfied by the fact Anakin would be home on time, with her...she hoped she would be able to leave work before he got home.