The Warning

Anakin and Padmé were laying in bed when Anakin's comlink started beeping and lighting up.

"What?" Anakin asked drowsily, returning the call.

"Anakin, it's me, Obi-Wan. Meet me in the Council room."

"Like, now?" he asked.

"Yes, Anakin. 'Like now.'"

Anakin sighed deeply. "I'm coming."

"See you there," Obi-Wan said.

Anakin picked his head up off of his pillow to look out the bedroom door. No sign of the droids roaming around the house, so that was good. He hated when they got into things. He dropped his head back down. He groaned and got up slowly, looking ridiculous dragging all of his limbs limply off of the bed. Once he got off of the bed, finally, he pulled on his boots and got a little more motivated. Anakin leaned down and kissed Padmé's cheek. She was still fast asleep, looking beautiful lying there with her eyes closed. It was about 4:30 in the morning, so Anakin didn't get much sleep. He fell asleep the night before at about 24:00, so he gotten four and a half hours of sleep.

Anakin walked out of the house and shut the door quietly. He jogged to his starfighter and hopped in, arriving at the Jedi Temple a few minutes later. He ran up flights upon flights of steps, finally reaching the Jedi Council room. But only to find Obi-Wan sitting in his chair, the rest of the Jedi gone.

"Anakin, where have you been, my young apprentice?"

Anakin stepped back out of the middle of the circular room. "Whoa, Master, I only took ten minutes this time! And what's with the solo Jedi thing? Where is everybody else? Is this a setup?"

"Anakin, you mustn't jump to such conclusions. The other Jedi are doing their business. Not being late, saving the galaxy...."

"So this is what it's about. Being late? I told you already."

"But you didn't." Obi-Wan rose from his seat and paced around the perimeter of the room. "Anakin, you're always late, and you tell me it's because you woke up late? It's getting worse. And surely you don't wake up late every morning."

"I get caught up in other things too," Anakin said innocently.

"Like what? Contacting Senator Amidala when she's supposed to be doing something else?"

Anakin froze. "What?"

"You heard what I said. I've seen you lately with her, Anakin. You must remember the Jedi Code when it comes to her. No attachments or emotions."

"I know that, Master." Anakin let out a breath. "I can't go back now anyway," Anakin whispered to himself.

"Excuse me?" Obi-Wan said, looking at Anakin.

"Nothing. I just said, I'll try harder."

"Anakin, you're going to have to accept that if Senator Amidala has other interests ever-"

"What?! She doesn't! She and-"

"Anakin, calm down. I'm just warning you. Unless you were to quit the Jedi Order, there's no possible way for you to be with her. But I know you wouldn't quit."

"She and I have nothing going on between us. We are simply close friends. Or... acquaintances."

"Good. Then there's no issue."

Anakin frowned.

"Well, I'll be seeing you. And if you continue to wake up late, set an alarm or timer of some sort. I don't want you to get into any deeper trouble than you already are," Obi-Wan said.

"Wait--what trouble?" Anakin asked suspiciously.

"With the Council," Obi-Wan replied calmly. He walked out of the room, leaving Anakin to think about what they had talked about.