Outlaw (Sheriff!Castiel x fem!reader) Western/Cowboy Au

Castiel heard the ruckus from inside the County Jail. He grabbed up his hat in his hand before heading outside. The sun temporarily blinded him and he placed his hat on his head. In the distance, Castiel could see a cloud of dust heading in the direction of the small town. It didn't appear to be a dust storm and, upon closer inspection, he realized that it really wasn't. It was a lone rider pushing their horse as fast as possible.

When the strange horse began slowing, Castiel was confused. People didn't often ride into his town at that speed and then just stop. When the horse was close enough, Castiel was able to make out the form of the rider astride it. Your eyes met his for a brief moment and he could see tears forming. "Help me, please. Hide me." Before Castiel could ask why, he saw you tipping from the saddle. He only barely caught you before you fell.

As he carried you toward the jail, Castiel thought about the last thing you'd said. "Hide me." He liked to think he was a good judge of character and it had been obvious that you were scared. Running from something. With a hum, Castiel changed course, laid you on your horse and climbed up behind you. There was only one place he could hide you. His own home.

Castiel got you set up in his own bedroom. The guest room was coated in a layer of dust and that wouldn't do. He may not know you, but he refused to be a poor host. After making certain you were situated, Castiel left a note and returned to the jail.

Once there, Castiel was greeted by a group of people, one of whom wore a sheriff's badge like his. When their eyes met Castiel's, he couldn't help but feel uncomfortable. Something wasn't right and he had a feeling it had something to do with your request to hide.

"Something I can do for you, gentlemen?" Castiel asked as he removed his hat once more and sat behind his desk. The other sheriff slide a wanted poster toward him. Castiel fought to keep a straight face as he took in the crude drawing of you.

"You seen her?" Castiel picked up the poster so he could hide his face better. He didn't lie well. He never had, but his gut was screaming at him that whatever you were accused of was wrong. You had ridden into his town like a bat out of hell begging him to hide you. That alone screamed innocence to him. Clearing his throat, Castiel set the poster back down and shook his head.

"What's she done?" The other sheriff grabbed the paper and sighed. "Murder. If she comes into town, keep her here and send me a telegram. Sheriff Dick Roman." Castiel nodded, fighting hard not to shudder. This man was something else and Castiel didn't know what but he didn't like it. Dick walked away with his posse close behind him. Once he was gone, Castiel could finally let out a breath.

Things quieted down after that and Castiel decided he could head home again for a little while to check on you. Leaving his deputy and adopted son, Jack, to mind the station, Castiel headed back home. His mind raced as he walked. Were you really a murderer? If so, why had you asked another sheriff to help you? Why risk being caught?

Castiel opened the door to his open. You had been sitting in his rocking chair as was obvious by the creaking of the old wood when you sprang up. You tensed up seeing the sheriff's badge on his shirt. Castiel held his hands up. "I am not going to hurt you." You relaxed a little and Castiel removed his hat to hang it next to the door.

"My name is Castiel." You nodded and introduced yourself. He gave you a soft smile. "You're a wanted woman." A frown made its way to your lips as your eyes ignited with a ferocity that nearly scared him. "I'm not a murderer! I didn't kill him, I swear! Dick Roman killed him and tried to frame me! I loved that man like he was my own father!" Once more, Castiel raised his hands. "It's alright. I believe you. I just met Sheriff Roman a little bit ago. I like to think I'm a good judge of character and I don't trust the man."

"Man? More like a monster. He came in and just took over my town like no one would fight him. Well, Bobby did and was murdered for it. Please...you have to help me. Please?" Looking into your eyes, Castiel knew he wouldn't disagree.

*time skip*

Castiel watched your face light up with laughter as you threw a little flour in Jack's face. You were attempting to bake a pie, but the younger man just kept getting in the way. You'd been staying with Castiel for a few months now and he couldn't deny that he liked having you around. You were sweet, but had a little bit of a temper sometimes. And you were funny, even when Castiel didn't always get your sense of humor. All-in-all, you made his days brighter. Even Jack and Castiel's best friends could see how enamored he was with you.

"Hey, Dad?" Jack asked when you disappeared to take a bath a little while later. "Hmm?" Castiel didn't look up from his newspaper. "Are you in love with Miss Y/N?" The paper slipped from Castiel's hand in surprise. "What? Where did you get that idea?" Jack arched a brow. "Uncle Dean." Castiel rolled his eyes and groaned a little. "I-I don't know, Jack." Jack shrugged and accepted the answer before leaving again, leaving Castiel to his thinking. The open newspaper lay forgotten on the floor until you reappeared from the bathroom.

You smiled at Castiel before your eyes traveled down the paper. Your mouth dropped open and your eyes widened. Faster than Castiel could follow, you snatched up the paper. Tears filled your eyes, prompting worry to fill Castiel's heart. "What is it?" You turned the paper so he could read the title of the article.

SHERIFF DICK ROMAN FOUND GUILTY OF THE MURDER OF BOBBY SINGER!

Castiel met your gaze once more. You were exonerated. It was over. Something about that made Castiel's heart sink to his stomach. "I can go home," you whispered. A soft smile came to your lips, but Castiel noticed it wasn't exactly full of joy. In fact, it seemed a little bit sad.

"I can get out of your hair. You have been so generous and I'm afraid I can never repay you." You moved to head back to the guest room that you and Castiel had cleaned up to pack your things. Before he could even contemplate what he was doing, Castiel's hand shot out to catch your wrist.

You stopped and glanced back at him in confusion. "Sheriff?" Castiel didn't reply at first, too surprised at his own actions. "Castiel?" Your voice caused him to shake his head to clear it. He stood gracefully, careful not to tug your wrist too hard. You stared up at him as you waited for him to speak.

"Don't. Please. You don't have to go," he said softly. You took a step closer to him. "I should. I can't take advantage of your hospitality any longer." He shook his head. "You aren't. I...want you here. I want you to stay. You've become important to me. I don't want to lose you."

For moment, you couldn't seem to speak. More tears formed in your eyes. "Really? I-I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I don't want to leave either." You placed your free hand on his chest, prompting him to wrap his other arm around you. "Will you stay?" he asked. His voice was a hoarse whisper. And your answer was a soft, "yes", followed by a kiss that Castiel would remember for the rest of his life.