When He Leaves (Death x reader)

Dating Death was hard. You loved him, sure, but he was gone so much. You understood that he had to work. However, that didn't make it any easier and Death noticed the changes in your attitude. Once he did, he was determined to make you see just how much he cared, even when he left. Not many people loved Death, so he wanted to keep the one person who did around for a long time.

You woke up one morning after Death had been gone for a while to find a note on the pillow next to you. "Good morning, Y/N. I have taken the liberty of starting your coffee pot so you can indulge in your ridiculous caffeine habit. Love, Death". You couldn't help but smile, despite the fact that you had just woken up. You got out of bed and went into the kitchen. Once there, you stopped short.

On the counter, was a small box of your favorite chocolates and another note. "I know your sweet tooth, my dear, and I know you have a long day ahead at your work. I thought you would enjoy these. Death. P.S. Chocolate is not for breakfast." Your smiled widened. You loved how Death showed you that he cared. It was the little things.

Deciding to ignore his final warning, you popped a piece of chocolate into your mouth before pouring a cup of coffee. Once it was the way your liked it, you took a sip in preparation for the day ahead. You got ready and left the house for work.

"Y/N...you are so lucky," one of your co-workers said when you arrived at work. Your brows scrunched and she pointed over her shoulder. Sitting on one of the tables was a bouquet of your favorite flowers. There was a card with your name on it. You gingerly plucked the card from its holder and read it. "Dearest Y/N, I do hope these flowers brighten your day, as you have brightened all of mine. Yours, D." You chuckled to yourself and your co-worker sighed. "I wish I had someone like your guy, Y/N." You shrugged happily and told her, "You'll find someone soon, I'm sure."

You spent the rest of your day with a smile on your face. Throughout the day, you kept finding little notes and things all over the place. Death even had lunch from your favorite restaurant delivered for you with a note saying that you needed to keep yourself fed right. You shook your head fondly. "Says the man with the pizza and fried pickle habit," you muttered to yourself.

By the time you returned home, you felt lighter than air, despite the fact that Death had been gone for several days at that point. You walked into your house and gasped. Inside were more flowers and some cupcakes from your favorite bakery as well as dinner from another restaurant you frequented when you could. "You have really outdone yourself, Death," you said out loud to yourself.

"You are worth it, my dear," Death's voice came from behind you. You jumped slightly before turning to face him. As usual, he was in his black suit and coat and he held his cane in one hand. Laughing, you threw your arms around his neck and kissed him. "Thank you." He chuckled and gave you a little squeeze. "I know my being away is hard on you. I hoped to ease your mind. I wanted you to know that I do think of you, even when I leave you."

"I know you do. I never doubted it for a minute. You didn't have to do all this." Death kissed your temple. "I know, but I wanted to." You opened your mouth to reply, but your stomach chose that moment to let out a rather loud growl. You shared a laugh with your boyfriend. "Shall we eat?" You nodded. "Death?" He hummed. "I love you." He smiled and cupped your face. "And I love you, my dear Y/N."