As the World Falls Down (Death x fem!reader)

(Songfic based on David Bowie's "As the World Falls Down".)

"You want to what?" Death asked you, a hint of surprise in his usually sarcastic tone. "I want to dance with you," you replied smoothly. Death had been hanging around a lot lately and you had grown close. Even Death had to admit his feelings for you had grown by leaps and bounds. To himself anyway. He wouldn't know how to say it out loud. In all the time of his existence, Death had never loved anyone before.

"Please, Death? One dance and I'll leave you alone for the rest of the day." You looked at him with those big pleading eyes and he couldn't refuse. Sighing, he stood up and rested his cane against the chair. The music started and Death wanted to groan at the song that had come on by chance.

There's such a sad love
Deep in your eyes A kind of pale jewel
Open and closed Within your eyes
I'll place the sky
Within your eyes

There's such a fooled heart
Beatin' so fast
In search of new dreams
A love that will last
Within your heart
I'll place the moon
Within your heart

As the pain sweeps through,
Makes no sense for you
Every thrill is gone
Wasn't too much fun at all,
But I'll be there for you
As the world falls down

Falling
Falling down
Falling in love

You closed the distance between you and Death and took his hands in yours. You placed them around your waist before wrapping your own arms around his neck. You looked up in to his dark eyes and smiled. Death could see the hint of sadness in that smile. In your eyes. He could see the pain you'd been through involving affairs of the heart. But, he could also see a glimmer of hope that perhaps, one day, your heart could be mended. Maybe Death could help.

I'll paint you mornings of gold
I'll spin you Valentine evenings
Though we're strangers 'til now,
We're choosing the path
Between the stars
I'll leave my love
Between the stars

As the pain sweeps through,
Makes no sense for you
Every thrill is gone
Wasn't too much fun at all,
But I'll be there for you-ou-ou
As the world falls down

Falling
As the world falls down
Falling
As the world falls down
Falling
Falling
Falling
Falling in love
As the world falls down, falling
Falling
Falling
Falling in love

As you swayed in his arms, Death couldn't help but want to give you the world. He wanted to be the reason you smiled in the morning and the reason you stayed up talking through the night. He wanted to erase every single heartbreak you'd ever suffered.

Death scoffed at himself for his uncharacteristic rush of emotion. For some reason, you brought that out in him. "You okay?" Death blinked, bringing himself out of his reverie. "What?" You chuckled. "I asked if you were okay?" Death realized that he'd scoffed out loud. "I am fine." You shrugged. "If you're sure." The song ended and you dropped your arms from his neck and placed your hands on his shoulders.

"Thank you, Death," you whispered, pressing up to kiss his cheek. You took a step back and started to walk away. "Where are you going?" You looked back at him and smiled. "We had a deal." You started to move again, but Death caught your hand. "Wait." Turning to face him, your brows furrowed. He reached out with his free hand and brushed a strand of hair from your face.

"What is it?" you asked, so quietly he almost didn't hear you. It was as if you were afraid to break the serenity in the room. As if you were afraid he would run off. "In all my time on this Earth, I have seen so many broken hearts. I never thought anyone would have the ability to break mine." A look of pure confusion passed over your features.

"One word from you could shatter the heart I didn't realize I had." You blinked. "Are you saying that-?" He cut you off with a nod. "Yes, my dear, I am. I love you," he laughed, "I truly love you." You felt the tears forming in your eyes as you moved to wrap your arms around Death once more. "I love you, too." Death nearly sighed in relief. You hadn't broken his heart after all. Now he had the chance to do everything he dreamed.