Words (Castiel x fem!reader) Soulmate AU

Cas' brow furrowed in confusion. "Dean, why have these words suddenly appeared on my arm?" Dean glanced over and saw the words on Cas' skin. "Seriously? You don't know? I thought angels would know about soulmates." Cas' eyes widened. Of course he knew about soulmates. But angels didn't have them. As far as he knew, they were exclusive to humans.

"But these words do not make sense," he commented, causing Sam to look at the exposed skin. "Looks like...orders? Your soulmate might be a waiter or something." Dean arched a brow. "A waiter who writes orders on their arms and hands?" Sam shrugged. "It's possible they lost their pad." Cas merely stared at his arm. "Should I...should I return correspondence?" Sam and Dean shrugged, not knowing that the writer of those words was in the very town they were hunting in.

YOUR POV

You let out a soft sigh as you kicked your door closed behind you. Another long day and you were ready to get off your feet. You were seriously considering finding a new job. Waitressing was absolutely not for you, especially since the new manager had yet to learn the ropes, including ordering new order pads. You only hoped your soulmate wouldn't be too irritated with the constant stream of words on their arms. Not that you would know either way.

From the moment you learned to write, you had begun writing little notes to your soulmate. It started with simple, one-word messages, and eventually developed into full paragraphs. But no matter how much or little you wrote, no matter how often, you never received a reply. Not a single one. After a while you just gave up hope of ever meeting your soulmate.

You went about your daily life and as you lived your life, thoughts of your soulmate began drifting to the back of your mind. You decided to stop searching and writing to someone who wasn't going to write back. Your hand and arm instead became a place for notes and orders. You never expected that those orders would be the reason you ended up meeting your soulmate after all.

You were awakened by your phone ringing next to your head. With a groan, you rolled over to grab the offending device. You wanted to scream when you saw your manager's name flash across the screen. When you answered you weren't at all surprised to hear them asking you to come in as another waiter had called in sick. If you hadn't needed the money, you would have laughed right then and there, but instead, you got up and made your way into work.

The diner was busy when you arrived. Not unusual for a Sunday morning. There was a bar a few doors down and a lot of people liked to come in to nurse their Saturday night hangovers. Your mind instantly shifted into work mode, only to gaze at your coworkers curiously when you caught them all staring at one table. "Uh...hello?"

"Y/N, you lucky b-" Another waitress covered your friend's mouth. Your elderly Sunday regulars often complained about her language. "What are you talking about?" you questioned and they all nodded in the same direction. "Your first table!"

You let your eyes follow their gazes and had to fight to keep your jaw from dropping. Three absolutely gorgeous men were sitting at the table. You quickly looked away as you wanted to be respectful. "That's my first table?" you asked in disbelief. That earned you a nod and playfully jealous glares. "Okay, stop ogling them. You don't like it when customers ogle you so stop," you chastised before turning to your manager and asking about order pads. Of course, there were none.

With pen in hand, you approached the table and smiled. "Hi, I'm Y/N. What can I get ya?" As soon as the first of them gave you his order, you began writing on your hand. "You always write on your hand?" You shook your head and smiled playfully. "Haven't you heard? It's the new in thing. Saves paper and whatnot." He laughed, but one of the others cleared his throat.

"Uh, Dean?" The green-eyed man who'd been speaking to you glanced over at his companions. The tallest of the three grabbed the third man's hand to show Dean. "Sh-Should I give you guys a minute?" Dean looked up at you. "No, Sweetheart. But you should look at my friend's hand." Your heart began to beat faster. Was this it?

You glanced down at the third man's hand and nearly dropped your pen to the floor. Your gaze shot up to meet the startling blue eyes of your soulmate. "I-I'll be right back," you managed to squeak out before turning on your heel to move back behind the counter.

When soulmates began cropping up, new labor laws were put in place allowing employees to leave work for a few days after meeting their soulmates as long as they could prove the bond. So you practically ran to your manager, grabbed their hand, and pulled them over to the table. After a couple moments, your manager took your apron with a smile and Dean and the tall guy left the booth so you could sit with your soulmate.

"What's your name?" you asked, trying desperately not to seem too eager. "I am Castiel." You smiled a little. "It's unique...Why? I mean, why didn't you ever respond?" you asked softly as you gestured to the writing on your hand. "I-I," he started. His blue eyes frantically searched for his friends, confusing you. "Hey, again," the tall one greeted from beside the table, "I think you guys should come with us. There's a few things you should know, Y/N." To say you were confused would be an understatement, but you'd always been a curious person and this was your soulmate and his friends. They wouldn't hurt you. You knew that. So you nodded and followed the three men outside. Once there, the three men began to explain everything.

*short time skip*

You stared at the three like they were insane. "Wait. So you're telling me that everything we've ever been afraid of, all the things that go bump in the night are real? And the two of you," you stated, pointing at Dean and, as you now knew, Sam, "Are hunters?" They nodded and you turned your eyes on Castiel.

"And you? You're an angel? Like, an honest to goodness angel?" He also confirmed and you nearly swayed on your feet. "O-Okay." Castiel looked completely lost as to what to do, adding to the validity of his claim. Sam helped you sit down and attempted to keep you calm while Dean whispered something to Castiel who was currently glaring at Sam sitting so closely to his soulmate.

Meanwhile, your mind was racing. Your soulmate was an angel. A FREAKING ANGEL! What were you supposed to do with that?! How would that even work?! You wanted to scream and cry at the same time. It didn't seem fair. Your soulmate was so far out of your reach it wasn't funny. Had there been some sort of mistake? So many questions without answers and it was weighing on you already. Would you ever be able to manage this?