Chapter 38 - The Snake in the Grass

OUTSIDE THE FOREST OF DEATH

As Zabuza and Ferret were guarding the perimeter near the 44th battle training zone, the young female ANBU was telling her new partner the tale of an infamous story, regarding a certain pervert.

"And that's how Ebisu-teme got his balls crushed by Anko and Kurenai. You should've seen his face, when they caught him. He was like 'WHYYYYYY??!!'." Ferret said jokingly, as she laughed at the end of her story.

Zabuza couldn't believe what he just heard. If there is one thing he hates, is a pervert. He has a daughter now, for crying out loud!

"And he's a Jonin? What kind of piss-poor system do you people run here?" Zabuza asked slightly annoyed, that Konoha might be 'too soft' on their Jonin selection process than his former home.

"First of all, he's a Special Jonin, emphasis on SPECIAL. Second, it's OUR people now, Shark Senpai. You and Haku are part of Konoha now." Ferret corrected.

"Yeah, yeah, don't remind me, Ferret. Also, just call me Zabuza. I'm still not use to the name, Shark. Besides, with the Kubikiribocho on my back, my identity is hardly a secret." Zabuza said, as he realized his codename also reminds him of his backstabbing old teammate.

"You should ask Naruto-chan about a Sealing Scroll. You live in his compound now, right? I'm sure he'll be more than happy to make you one." Ferret recommended, which led Zabuza to ask his next question to his young partner.

"That reminds me, how do you know Naruto, by the way?" Zabuza asked curiously.

"Almost every ANBU and Konoha Shinobi knows who Naruto is. Some not in a good way. I used to be one of his security details when he was a kid. And BELIEVE ME, there were many attempts on his life, by some dumbass civilians and ninjas." Ferret explained bitterly, that even made the former Demon of the Hidden Mist, felt disgusted by their actions.

"Why would they attack a child?" Zabuza asked in disbelief

"I'm sure Lord Hokage has briefed you, that Naruto-chan is the Jinchuriki of the Nine-Tails. And as you know, most people tend to let their ignorance blind them of their sense of reason. But lucky for Naruto-chan; Lord Hokage, Kakashi Senpai and Anko were always by his side. I was only his security detail for a short time, before I was reassigned. I joined the ANBU when he was already mid-away into the academy. But the thing is......I wasn't really the best bodyguard for him." Ferret confessed shamefully.

"Why is that?" Zabuza asked curiously.

".......My father died in front of me, during the Nine-Tails attack, 14 years ago. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't blame Naruto-chan, one bit. But it was really hard at first. And a few years ago, I lost my mother....and my entire clan.....I can't really tell you anything more, because its considered an S-rank secret.......but......my entire world fell apart that day......and I'm still not over it. And it greatly affected my ability to fulfil my duties. Afterwards, I was reassigned to protect someone else." Ferret explained her past to her partner.

"Is it Sasuke Uchiha?" Zabuza guessed.

"Yeah, him. I still remember the first time I met him. He was just a CUTE little baby. When I tried to hold him, he instantly cried in my arms. It was both sad and funny, but I didn't take it personally. He just wanted to be held by Itac..." Ferret paused midway, as she slightly choked under breath, when she recalled the infamous 'Kin-Slayer'.

"Sasuke-chan......really loved his big brother. I knew when 'that night' happened, he will never be the same again. I couldn't be there for him at first, because I was in a medical-induced coma at the time. But luckily, he had friends who cared deeply for him, like Hinata and Naruto-chan. And sometimes I think, it is because of Naruto-chan that Sasuke-chan is not spoiled rotten by the fucking village elders and civilian council. And boy, they really tried." Ferret said with a soft laugh.