Chapter 17 - Trouble on the High Seas

As Idate continues to run further away from the harbour, Team 10 is now currently on his tail. Ino wanted to yell at Idate for the wrong direction he is heading, but Naruto suggested that they keep their distance for now.

As much as he dislikes the arrogant Wasabi Runner, he can already tell that Idate is fiercely loyal to Jirocho, and would never betray him in such a way. The blonde Senju decided to put some faith in Idate, and trust that the Wasabi Runner knows what he is doing, and he is going with the best course of action to win the race.

Aside from all of that, Naruto's Senses were going crazy. Whether if it was because of his natural Sensory ability, or Kurama's Negative Emotion detection. He could feel that they were being followed, and judging from their Chakra Signature, they were Shinobi, and Mid-Genin Level at best.

Naruto quickly informed his team through Ino's mind-link, and warned them to keep their eyes open for any traps or attacks.

Idate was now running on a Cliffside.

But unbeknownst to him, he was caught in a Genjutsu, that made him believe that he was running in circles.

Team 10 noticed this, and was about to help the Wasabi Runner, but then they saw Idate had already noticed the illusion, and perform a single hand seal to disrupt his chakra flow, easily freeing himself from the Genjutsu.

Team 10 was currently following behind him, as they continue to jump from tree branch to tree branch, just above the Cliffside that Idate was running on.

'So he IS a ninja, or maybe he received some level of shinobi training. What are you not telling us, Idate?' Naruto thought to himself in wonder, but the rest of his team were able to hear, since Ino's mind-link is still on.

'His speed alone is almost Chunin Level, and judging from the way he notices and dispelled that Genjutsu earlier, proves it." Shikamaru added in with his thoughts.

'Yeah, I guess that's-HOLY CRAP!' Ino didn't get to finish her sentence in her mind, when she notices that Idate was about to runoff the cliff.

"IDATE!!" Ino yelled out to the Wasabi Runner.

But Idate noticed it too late. Apparently, after he dispelled the Genjutsu that was casted upon him, and continues to run foward blindly, there was a Second layer of Genjutsu in its place.

As Idate was about to fall off the cliff, he felt his body completely paralyse.

"Shadow Possession Success. Thanks for the Shunshin Naruto" Shikamaru said with a sigh of relief with Naruto next to him, with his hand on the Nara's shoulder.

Naruto was able to Shunshin himself and Shikamaru near Idate, so the lazy Nara was able catch him with his Shadow before he could fall.

"Yeah, that was too close" Ino said, as she jumps down from her tree branch, to meet-up with the rest of her team.

"HEY! WHAT GIVES?! LET ME GO!" Idate demanded, with hint of annoyance and anger in his tone.

"HEY! SHIKA AND NARUTO-KUN JUST SAVED YOUR ASS, SO HOW ABOUT A LITTLE THANK YOU!" Ino yelled out, trying to defend her teammate's actions.

"Yeah right, like I would give my thanks to ninja-runts like you" Idate said with an arrogant and disgusted expression on his face.

"WHY YOU LOUSY..." Ino was about to yell for the insult, but she was interrupted by her blonde paramore, who finally decided that he had enough with the Wasabi Runner's attitude.

"ENOUGH! Listen here, Idate. You were caught in a Genjutsu, which means the Shinobis of the Wagarashi are not too far behind us. Instead of escorting Fukusuke to the Todoroki Shrine, they were sent to eliminate you. Now I have been very patient with you. VERY PATIENT. But you almost got yourself killed, which could have jeopardized our mission AND the race. So I want you to tell us what you are planning, NOW! Or I'll have Ino-chan go through your mind. And I don't care how long it takes." Naruto said with a serious tone.