Chapter 2 - The Fourth's Legacy

KONOHA'S ORPHANAGE

Naruto is now sitting at his usual lone table in the orphanage's small cafeteria room, with three buttered toast on his plate, and a glass of milk next to it.

Usually, he would not enjoy this time in the morning, as the cook would often serve him burned toast and expired milk. Today was different however, as the cook was caught red-handed by Mother Nonō.

He tried to defend his actions by saying "The Demon doesn't deserve good food, or any food whatsoever" the cook said with an evil proud smirk.

This level of ignorance and cruelty towards an innocent child was too much for the good mother's heart, and the cook was met with a brutal beat down from the former ROOT ninja, and an immediate termination of his services, and a trip to the hospital with no coverage.

Mother Nonō had grown very much attached to little Naruto, and would be damned if she allows anyone within her own orphanage to treat him that way.

She manages to convince some of her fellow caretakers to give Naruto a chance, which they begrudgingly did. But what they did not expect, was to actually like the blonde boy, after a few meetings now and then.

They were able to see Naruto as Naruto, and not some Demon or Monster. They find his kind and upbeat personality to be very charming and welcoming. The fact that Mother Nonō taught him to always be respectful of others, also helps his image.

One of them even gave him a small book as a late birthday gift, that he is now currently reading while having his breakfast. The book is titled "The Tales of the Utterly Gutsy Ninja" written by a man named Jiraiya.

Naruto absolutely love the book, and was inspired to be a strong ninja just like the hero in the story. He too wanted to break the cycle of hatred and bring peace to ninja world.

Naruto would often share his dream openly of becoming Hokage, just like Lord Third someday.

His 'Jiji' (Grandpa) is one of his precious people, and one of the very few he looks-up to and inspires to be like, one day.

Mother Nonō would often encourage him to follow his dream, but advise him to always learn and work hard, as his path in life will not be an easy one. Naruto understands and always appreciates her concern. He promises to do what she says, and keep her words true to him.

Suddenly, one of the caretakers came by the cafeteria and approached him.

"Naruto, you have a visitor" the caretaker informs him.

"Really? Visitor for me?" This surprises the young boy, as he rarely or probably NEVER had anyone outside the orphanage to come and visit him before.

As he followed the caretaker that was leading him to his mysterious visitor, the person he saw immediately put a large smile on his face.

"Hello, Naruto-kun. How are you, my boy" the old Hokage said, as he greeted him with a warm smile.

Hiruzen was slightly worried that Naruto would be angry with him, for never visiting him all year, which he will completely understand and was prepared to make amends for.

After a moment of brief silence of his nonchalant greeting, Naruto's response was not at all what the old Hokage expected.

"JIJI! YOU'RE HERE! I MISS YOU SO MUCH!" Naruto ran up to the old man, and wrapped him in a big hug.

Hiruzen is so overwhelmed with relief and joy, that the little blonde boy hugging him, did not hold any resentment or anger towards him.

Instead he was just happy to see his grandfather-figure again. Hiruzen returned the hug, and gently patted the little boy on his blonde head.