Chapter 41 - The Preliminary Round

(A/N: Since I'll be adding 3 more teams into the roster, ALL matches will not follow cannon in this story. Hope you like it!)

Four days had pass, and it is finally time for all the candidates who made it to the Tower with both scrolls, to gather before the Hokage and their respected Sensei(s) in the large indoor arena.

But little did they know, there are still WAY TOO MANY candidates to move on to the final stage.

After Hiruzen had arrived at the Tower with Inoichi by his side, he didn't waste any time by summoning Team 10 to his temporary office.

Inoichi immediately embraced his only daughter with a warm hug as soon as he saw her, which she gladly returns, but was slightly embarrassed when Naruto, Shikamaru and Asuma were watching with their goofy grins to make fun of her. The hug ended when Hiruzen made a cough to gain their attention, which made Inoichi blushed from embarrassment, but managed to pull himself together for the sake of professionalism.

Naruto then began his retelling of their experience in the forest of death, starting from their battle with Team Samui, to his clone's encounter with Orochimaru.

To say that Hiruzen's and Inoichi's jaw dropped to the floor, was an understatement as they couldn't believe that a team of rookie Genins had such an 'eventful' time in the most dangerous part in the exam and yet made it back to the Tower in one day.

Inoichi was relieved that Ino only had a few scratches and bruises from their battles, but as the shameless protective father he is, he couldn't help but ask multiple embarrassing questions to his daughter that made the young lady blushed vermillion red from embarrassment, as Naruto and Shikamaru were failing to hold back their laughter, earning a fierce glare and pout from Ino.

After Naruto explained the very detailed report about Tanuki's mission to kidnap Karin Uzumaki which was ordered by Danzo Shimura, Hiruzen literally was about to explode from rage, especially after Inoichi was able to confirm their story after reading all of Team 10's minds through the Yamanaka's Psycho Mind Transmission Jutsu.

Ino's mind was slightly difficult to read given her Yamanaka heritage, despite her already giving him her consent to do so.

Naruto on the other hand, was different story.

It took a while for Naruto to convince Kurama to allow Inoichi to safely enter their mind, since aside from Ino, the giant fox doesn't like Yamanaka (or any telepathic) intruders into his home, which happens to be Naruto's mindscape.

Despite all these years, Inoichi still doesn't know how he feels about Naruto. Not as the Jinchuriki of the Kyubi, but as the long-term boyfriend of his only daughter. He knew Ino is deeply in love with Naruto with all her heart, and as a good father he wants her to be happy. But no matter how older Ino gets, she will always be his little princess. And it was hard to see her grown up so fast.

His wife, Noriko Yamanaka, on the other hand, absolutely adores Naruto, especially when Ino brought him home for the first time to meet them. He reminded her so much of both his parents, especially her late best friend, Kushina Uzumaki. Naruto may have his father's good looks and charm, but he has his mother's kind heart and tenacity.

(A/N: Ino's mother apparently didn't have a name in cannon, which is odd, so I use her voice actor's name instead, which is Noriko Suzuki.)

But regardless, Inoichi still didn't know how he feels about Naruto.

Head of the Senju Clan, a Prince of Konoha, and one of the most gifted Genins of his generation or not, a father's job is to ALWAYS make sure his daughter will have someone who is truly worthy of her. And he has very high standards, which Naruto doesn't mind, as he understands that a father's love is very strong.