Prologue Arc Part 1: Amnesia and Robots and Bears, Oh My!

Prologue Arc: A Small Spark of Hope

Darkness. That's all that surrounded me. It was a strange feeling, but, even stranger, it was comforting, oddly enough. I'm not sure why, but I wasn't bothered by this unknown void I had found myself in. I felt as if I could stay here forever, embracing the darkness and the security it offered. I didn't know why or how, but I knew when the darkness faded away, that I would enter a twisted, horrid world, full of deceit, madness, and despair.

I grasped at the darkness, trying my best to hold it tight, yet my efforts proved to be in vain when that darkness, peaceful and serene, was torn from my hold. I was falling. I was dying. I was living. Was I living? Did I even exist? None of that really mattered as I slowly opened my eyes. I existed now, and this was the hell I was thrown into.

Soon, I had managed to fully open my eyes, much to my dismay, but what greeted me was unexpected. It was more darkness. Of course, this darkness wasn't nearly as comforting as the one that came before it, but I couldn't let that get to me. And that's when I noticed something worrying: I was in a very enclosed space. I couldn't even move my arms a few inches before hitting cold metal walls that cornered me from all sides.

I managed to turn and see 3 slits along one of the walls, warm light pouring in from the other side. I suppose the sight of freedom was what finally got me to fight against my confinement. After struggling against the wall for a bit, I leaned back and managed to kick the wall, which was actually a door, open, almost sending it off its hinges.

The light was blinding, but only for a moment. Once my eyes adjusted, I noticed how I was in a classroom, though "classroom" is putting it lightly. The room was in a great state of disrepair. Vines and grass ran rampant across the room, and the desks and chairs all had a light level of rust and decay on them. There were also metal bars blocking the windows as well, though I couldn't imagine what they were for. Taking a step out of the cold metal prison and stepping out onto the wet, dew-covered grass, I spun around, taking it all in.

I now know what I was trapped in: a locker, but that didn't really ease my tensions. Where the heck am I? This could be a classroom if it didn't look as if it had been ignored for decades. Could this be a school or at least an abandoned school? I then noticed a few more lockers next to the one I was in. Could there be...? I slowly opened each but was met with nothing but empty space. Disappointing, to say the least. Was I actually alone, or were there other people around the area? Should I explore to make sure?

I was actually about to do just that, but then a fear-inducing thought entered my body. One that I had never thought I would have to ask myself. Who was I? The thought immediately made me freeze in place. I started to shake and shutter as the question and others similar to it began to swarm my mind. What's my name? What's my age? When was I born? Why can't I remember?

My head started to throb, forcing me to grasp it with my hand in a feeble attempt to calm myself down. The questions violently began to flood my mind, and I could feel some memories that could answer them, but the memories were hazy. What had happened? Why were my memories so foggy? I just needed a minute. A moment of silence to just think. The room was supposed to be silent, but now it felt like noise was trapped in the room with me. I didn't know where it was coming from, but I knew I had to get away. Get away get away GET AWAY.

I swiftly turned and entered the locker I woke up in and slammed the door shut. I closed my eyes and began to sort through my broken thoughts and memories. Slowly but surely, I began to recall everything I had lost.

My name was... Rin. Rin Wakuri, I think. That sounds right. Maybe? It's the only name that comes to mind. My age... around 20 or so. I think it's 21...right? What do I look like? Let's see. White hair with an ahoge, red eyes, as pale as can be, and my school uniform I think. Nothing too fancy, I guess.