Arc 6 Part 1: At World's End

Arc 6: The Purpose Behind Thoughts and Fiction

Deadly Life

Rin Wakuri was dead. That was an undeniable fact.

Malice drenched the scene where his body had been discovered. Why else would his corpse be so terribly desecrated like this if not for the killer's incredible hatred? And now Shuichi and the others were forced to take it in as they tried to process the death of their dear friend.

Shuichi's heart was thumping like a snare drum as he stared dumbly at the body in front of him. He couldn't move or speak. He couldn't even tear his eyes away from the terrifyingly gruesome sight. He was frozen stiff in fear and disbelief.

How...? How could this have happened? Who could have even done this?

Shuichi could find no immediate answer to those thoughts as he stared at the bloodied body. The others were much of the same way. They were staring silently at the horrid scene as well.

And then...someone finally moved.

Kirumi took a step, and then she took another. She slowly moved toward the body before she was eventually right in front of it. Once she was right in front of the body, she fell to her knees as she reached out slowly, desperation clear in her usually stoic expression.

"...Please, tell me this isn't real. Please tell me this is just another trick. Another plan of yours. Please..." Kirumi whispered as she reached out slowly and cupped RIn's cheek. Her breath hitched immediately when she did.

Rin was not breathing.

Still denying what was clearly in front of her, Kirumi pressed two fingers on Rin's neck.

No pulse.

"This isn't funny Rin!" Kirumi frantically muttered as she pulled her gloves off and pressed her hand against Rin once again. Her despair multiplied tenfold when she did.

His skin was cold with the feeling of death. Warm flesh was now cold and dead.

"This is not happening. I...refuse to believe it." Kirumi muttered as she shakily pulled her hand away. "You...cannot be dead...! Not after everything you've done here! It...It...It can't end like this! I...! I'm not strong enough yet! I-I...I can't–!" The maid cried out as she slammed a fist into the ground in frustation, tears being to gather within her eyes as she held back tears. She could not, however, hold back her pain as she let out a despairing scream. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!"

"Then...he's really..." Kaede spoke in a weak whisper before she dropped to her knees. She tears freely fell from her face, but she was not crying out like Kirumi. She was just staring, unable to react any differently. She hardly had the strength to.

"N-No! I-I-It's just another trick, right?!" Tenko asked as her eyes jumped between the body and the others. "I-I-I mean, Rin's escaped death so many times before now! He's tricked us all and survived so much! This...must be another trick he made, right?"

"No. I don't think so. Not this time." Rantaro muttered as his expression showed deep confusion at the sight he was witnessing. "I don't think he could have faked something like this. Not this time."

"B-But...It's Rin! He can't be dead! The game was over! Why would anyone kill him!?" Tenko screamed angrily as her eyes began to water a little.

"...Now that, I have no idea," Rantaro admitted as he clenched his teeth. "I have no fucking clue what's going on anymore." He then aimed a suspicious glare at the usual suspect. "Got anything to say, Kokichi? You were supposed to meet Rin here in my lab, weren't you?"