2nd Arc Part 14: Faith and Logic

"Alright! Let's pin those alibis down!" Kaito declared.

"We can exclude the people who were trapped in the Insect Meet and Greet, correct?" Kiyo asked.

"The people trapped in Gonta's lab were stuck there from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. So we can assume they're all innocent then." Rantaro nodded.

"The people who were at the Insect Meet and Greet..." Shuichi began. "Were me, Kaede, Kaito, Keebo, Tenko, Angie, Himiko, Kiyo, and Gonta."

"Yes. Gonta kept everyone there until Kokichi and Rin come back." Gonta confirmed.

"Hang on. Himiko and Angie only arrived at 9 p.m," Keebo noted.

"But we already discussed that. Angie and I were together the entire time." Himiko said.

"There's no reason to doubt us. If one of us tried anything, the other would have seen it." Angie agreed.

"Then you two are in the clear. That means the only people who weren't at the Meet and Greet without alibis other than Miu are..." Tenko began.

"Rantaro and Maki. Of course, they're not the only suspects. There were periods of time where Kokichi, Ryoma, and I were alone too." I finished.

"Wow, Rinny. You would tell the truth, even if it screwed you over." Kokichi said.

"Not like I have anything to worry about. I'm not the culprit. I just want to uncover the truth. If I must be suspected to find it, then so be it." I responded with a neutral tone.

"Aah! Beautiful! Your spirit of self-sacrifice is just too beautiful!" Kiyo shouted with a grand pose.

"You also were alone for a long period of time as well, correct Kokichi? Do you have an alibi?" Keebo asked.

"Nee-heehee... Who's to say?" Kokichi responded with a mischievous smile.

"Ryoma, Rantaro, and Maki are the other three without alibis. Let us hear your testimonies." Kaito asked them.

"I was in my research lab the whole time. I didn't go to the fourth floor." Maki answered.

"But that cannot be proven, can it?" Kiyo asked her. Maki just stayed silent at the question.

"What about Rantaro? You're pretty mysterious yourself. What were you doing?" Kaede questioned the adventurer.

"Can't say I have a much better alibi than Maki. I was in my room for most of that time." Rantaro admitted.

"And Ryoma?" Gonta asked.

"I was out and about like Rin was, searching for people to bring to the meet and greet," Ryoma added.

"Hmm, so the culprit is among these 5 people, right? It must be the one who has the weakest alibi!" Tenko shouted.

"...I apologize, but given the circumstances, we have no choice but to suspect you." Keebo apologized.

"Alright out with it!" Tenko yelled. "Who's the culprit!?"

"Ooh? Are you trying to say I'm the culprit? Well, perhaps I should give an honest effort in defending myself. That is of course if I'm not the culprit, but I am a liar so..." Kokichi began to say with a grin.

"Am I really suspicious? I don't think I was alone for long enough to be considered a suspect." Rantaro said.

"You'll see whether or not I'm suspicious as the trial progresses." I sighed.

"I am not the culprit./Maybe I am the culprit!/I'm not the culprit!" Rantaro, Kokichi, and I shouted in unison. And so, a massive panic-fueled debate began, with all of us talking over each other loudly.