1st Arc Part 11: The First Victim

1st Arc: Our Fun, Twisted, Broken Killing Game

Deadly Life

I was able to stand up again after a while, though his throat was hoarse now. Even after that, I still haven't shed one tear. Kaede was apparently the one who was trying to comfort me as I fell apart once again in front of her. She helped me stand up after she had finished crying. I felt numb. Like nothing mattered anymore.

Does anything matter anymore? Kirumi is dead. The killing game has started. One of these people, a friend of ours, killed another. And despite this despair, it felt oddly familiar. Numbness. My brain seemed to throb from the familiarity of this situation. This pain. This despair. This reality. Nothing makes sense anymore. And nothing will ever again.

"What...is this?" Shuichi asked hesitantly.

"Why is Kirumi...?" Rantaro trailed off as he stared at the body.

At that moment, the front entrance to the library opened up again, and Kaito, Tenko, and everyone else who was in the game room rushed in.

"Guys! Did you find out if anyone-?" Kaito began to ask before stopping dead in his tracks when he saw Kirumi's body. "Wh-What in the world!? What the hell is going on!?"

"K-Kirumi?" Himiko asked as she shivered violently.

"Ah...aah...aaahh..." Tenko raised her hands to her mouth as she began to shriek. "GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!"

"Waaaaaaaaaahhhh! B-Blood...! So much Blood!" Gonta joined in with his own scream.

"Huhhhh? Isn't that Kirumi? What's wrong with her?" Angie asked when she saw the body.

"...She's dead," Maki answered sternly.

"Whaaaaat? She's dead? Well, that's unfortunate." Angie said, almost like she didn't care.

I almost snapped at that. I nearly wanted to strangle Angie for that reaction, but I could barely move an inch. Kaede still had to help me stand, as my knees were still shaking to the point of not working.

"How can you be so calm!?" Gonta asked.

"...Rin already checked the body, but...just to be sure..." Shuichi walked up and examined Kirumi's body as I had before. He placed his hand in front of her mouth to check for breathing, but... "...We're too late." He shook his head, confirming what I had found.

"T-Too late...? You mean...dead?" Gonta asked softly.

"S-She's dead...?" Kaito repeated in utter disbelief.

My vision began to darken and narrow again. I wanted to fall over and die. I felt worthless. I was worthless, unable to protect anyone. Questions I had no answers to began to pop up in my mind. Why was Kirumi here? How did she get here? And... who killed her?

"This means the killing game has started, huh?" Maki asked.

"What?" Kaede asked.

"K-Killing game!? Then someone killed Kirumi and-!?" Tenko was then cut off by the sound of the monitors.

Ding dong, dong ding!

"...What?" Shuichi muttered at the bell that rang out.

Everyone looked at the monitors in confusion as the screen showed Monokuma sitting in a fancy chair while holding a glass of champagne.

"A body has been discovered!" He said happily. "Everyone, please gather in the library!" With that, the monitor turned off, and Monokuma appeared in the library.