2nd Arc Part 17: The Entrapping Past of the Innocent

"Oh my! You all voted correctly! What an unexpected and unpredictable outcome!" Monokuma laughed wickedly. "The blackened who killed Miu Iruma, the Ultimate Inventor, is Korekiyo Shinguji, the Ultimate Anthropologist!"

"Yayyyy! Bravo, bravo!" The Monokubs cheered for us.

It was over. Everyone had voted for Kiyo, even Kiyo himself, and we were correct. Even at this stage, it was hard to swallow. I felt my body release the tension I had been holding this entire time as we each walked off our podium and moved toward our culprit to question him.

"Phew! Thank goodness we managed to get through the class trial again!" Kokichi said as he wiped the sweat from his forehead.

"Th-There's nothing good about this at all...!" Tenko cried out, a mixture of anger and sadness in her voice.

"Why? Why did you kill Miu? Why did you plan to kill someone in the first place?" Keebo asked in a soft, quiet voice.

He managed to keep his composure during the trial, but now that it is over, the emotions he must be feeling...I think I can imagine them quite well. These kinds of emotions are always the strongest ones. The ones that flood your senses and overpower you. They're the worst kind of emotions you could feel.

"Gonta...no can believe it. Why Kiyo kill someone? Kiyo so nice before..." Gonta muttered.

"...It was because of the motive video I received," Kiyo admitted.

"Of course. It comes down to that." I sighed.

"B-But whatever was on that video couldn't have been that bad, could it?" Kaito asked.

"Puhuhu... Human beings have always been easily frightened into doing reckless things. They've always been selfish, self-centered, cowardly creatures." Monokuma giggled. "Give them a push, and others might brush it off, but some humans are made of weaker stuff."

"That's why I hate humans! They burn down the forests we call home! They pollute the rivers we drink from! I'll never forgive humans!" Monotaro screamed.

"But is that really a reason to destroy them? Some humans are really nice!" Monophanie argued.

"Enough with the commentary. We're trying to have a serious discussion." Ryoma rebuked the kubs, silencing them with his stern words.

"Kiyo...your video must have contained the person you care for the most, right? That was your sister. What...happened in the video?" Kaede asked.

"It...I..." Kiyo began before he sighed. "I'm sorry. Words fail me at the moment. My video was just...overwhelming, even for me."

"It must have been hard, but you need to tell us. Otherwise, we can't accept this outcome." Kaito told him.

"Please Kiyo. Tell us." Rantaro said. "We all care about you. We're friends, so we need to know why you did what you did."

"...It was horrible," Kiyo said. "It's funny. We were only talking about luck the other day, but to think I was so unlucky as to receive my own motive. How truly ugly."

"Hmmm? Y'know, I meant to bring this up earlier cuz it's been bugging me for a while..." Monokuma cut into our conversation. "But all this talk about the videos being switched... What does that mean, exactly?"

"Huh? What are you talking about?" I asked in an annoyed voice.

"Nyeh...don't play dumb. You're the one who switched up all the motive videos."

"She's right. Didn't you just give a few people their own video and give the rest of them random videos?" I asked him.

"...No, I didn't," Monokuma said as he turned to his cubs.