1st Arc Part 1: Death Road to Despair

1st Arc: Our Fun, Twisted, Broken Killing Game

Daily Life

Soon after explaining to us our participation in the killing game, Monokuma and the Monokubs left us to take in the despair of our unchangeable situation. It was dead quiet in the gym, no one daring to make a sound. I swear I could hear the sweat dripping from our foreheads.

And that's when multiple notification alarms went off. The noises were from all our monopads. I took mine out and looked at what had been added. Seemed like Monokuma sent us all the rules for the killing school semester for us to review.

Rule 1. Students must live at the Ultimate Academy for the remainder of their foreseeable future.

Rule 2. Once a murder takes place, all surviving students must participate in a class trial.

Rule 3. If the blackened is exposed during the trial, they alone will be executed.

Rule 4. If the blackened is not exposed, all remaining students will be executed.

Rule 5. If the blackened survives the class trial, they will graduate and re-enter the outside world.

Rule 6. The killing game and class trials will continue until only two surviving students remain.

Rule 7. "Nighttime" is from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. The dining hall and gymnasium are off-limits at night.

Rule 8. Violence towards Monokuma, the headmaster of the Ultimate Academy, is strictly prohibited.

Rule 9. Monokuma will never directly commit a murder or be directly involved in a murder.

Rule 10. Your Monopads are important items. Please do not damage them.

Rule 11. A body discovery announcement will play when three or more students discover a body.

Rule 12. With minimal restrictions, you are free to explore the campus at your discretion.

Rule 13. Students who violate these rules will be immediately exterminated by the Exisals

Rule 14. The headmaster may add new regulations to the list at any time.

"You...gotta be kidding me... I will never... I will never participate in a killing game..." Kaede muttered quietly as she looked through the rules.

I can't really blame her for reacting like that. This whole scenario is unreal by a large margin. I look to see that most of the others who bothered to look at the rules give similar expressions of displeasure.

"The Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles School Regulations... So these are the rules..." Ryoma says.

"I do not understand why someone...would force us to do this?" Kirumi pondered.

"But the rules are pretty cut and dry. This game doesn't seem like it'll be boring." Kokichi smirked.

"'Not boring' is putting it lightly..." I groaned.

"Yeah! That's not the problem!" Tenko agreed.

"Please lower your voice. It is ruining the atmosphere." Kiyo said as he took in the despair that was pouring out from each of us. He really wasn't kidding when he said he finds even the ugly parts of humanity beautiful.

"Hey, hey! What does this sixth regulation mean?" Angie asked. I looked at my Monopad again to see what she was talking about.

Rule 6. The killing game and class trials will continue until only two surviving students remain.