Non-Adoption

Everyone just stared at me. They didn't say a word. I mean what would they say? "I'm sorry your parents are dead, have a cookie to feel better."

"I um... The guy who called me said I have a week to pack my things... I'm going- I'm going to live with my Aunt and Uncle in Chicago." I told everyone as I forced back my tears. Leo backed away.

"Chicago? You can't go there! You've lived here your whole life!" He argued as I nodded slowly.

"And you just got bionics! You need a capsule, and someone to help you train-" Chase cut in as I shook my head and backed away. It was all too much.

"Will you guys just.. excuse me for a moment?" I pardoned myself before speed walking out of the lab and upstairs. I didn't even bother to look Tasha in the eyes.

I ran straight for one of the guest rooms on the other side of the house so they couldn't hear me crying. The moment the door shut I just crawled over to the bay window and sobbed. I could feel my mascara run down my cheeks, ruining the light make-up I put on this morning.

How ling had they been dead? They were supposed to come back so long ago... did they die on the plane ride home? How did the plane even crash?

It was it not an accident? I'm getting to worked up about it it had to be an accident.

I felt my hands tingle with electricity as I let out a scream, hugging my legs close to my chest and ruining my makeup even more by covering my eyes to my knees.

My back ached from crying so hard. I felt like I was going to throw up, or pass out. This had to be a horrible nightmare, right? I was going to wake up soon... right?

I pinched myself. I didn't wake up.

It was real.

I was a fucking orphan.

How am I supposed to leave all my friends behind? Leave Leo? He's the only friend I've had since I was in diapers, I can't leave him.

What if I just faked my death and stayed with Mr. Davenport? Yeah! I could totally do that...

I slammed my head against the wall, ignoring the pain in my skull and filling it with the pain in my heart. I didn't want to be here at the moment.

I didn't want to be alive. The joy that I had from being bionic was crushed in the matter of a few words.

My life had just started. And now it was over.

I wasn't going to go to Prom with Leo when no one asked us. Or graduate with Bree. I wasn't going to go on missions, or use my bionics to get away with pranks.

I was going to be a nodding again. Just a silent girl who walked down the halls of god knows what high school. No friends, an orphaned girl living with her aunt and uncle.

Why do I sound like Peter Parker? Orphaned girl with crazy abilities living with aunt and uncle... great now I just need my uncle to get shot so I can have even more trauma.

A knock at the door snapped me out of my thoughts, and I quickly wiped away the mascara and tears as best as I could when Adam walked in. Definitely not the person I was expecting.

The look on his face told me he had no clue what to do. I sniffled, sitting on the bay window correctly and patting the spot next to me. Adam hesitantly took it, the two of us sitting in silence for forever.

"Look, Nessie-"

"You don't have to say anything, Adam. There's nothing you really can say that will make it feel better." I cut in as he nodded slowly.

"I'm sorry. No one should go through this... at our age." He said as I nodded slowly, picking at my shirt sleeve. "I'm not a very serious person. I know that I act dumb, and childish all the time... but I think this really opened my eyes, Nessie." Adam said as I looked up at him, frowning in confusion.

"I spend so much of my day acting like an idiot, I never stop to just take it all in. Of how grateful I am to have all of you guys. To have Chase and Bree no matter how many times I punch, slap or throw him. He's my little brother. And I-..." I could see the tears starting to form in Adam's eyes, causing me to tear up as well. "I don't know what I would do without them. I'm... terrified for the day Mr. Davenport will leave. I can't imagine what life will be like when he's gone." He said, tears falling down his cheeks as I shook my head.

"Adam please don't cry. You're gonna make me cry and I don't like crying in front of people." I said as he just started sobbing, bringing me into a hug.

"I don't want you to leave. You're my best friend." Adam said as I felt tears fall down my cheeks.

"And you're my best friend, too, Adam." I whispered as he let go, sniffing and wiping his tears as I did. "Wow you really know how to make someone cry." I joked, letting out a pained laugh.

There was a short silence between the two of us. "Isn't there anyway you could stay? Leo's in his room crying because you have to go." Adam said as I smiled weakly, sighing.

"I don't know, Adam. But I have a week to figure it out so-"

"Vanessa!" Tasha yelled, running into the guest room without warning. Adam yelled, throwing his hands up and getting ready to fight.

"Um.. hi Tasha." I said as she gave me a short solemn look before pulling out a piece of paper she held from behind.

"I have something for you. Apparently it's your mother's will." Tasha said as I stood up, taking the will as everyone slowly flowed into the room.

"I, Jacquelyn Claudia Valin, adult of 203 East North Wood street of Mission Creek California, being of sound and mind, declare this as my last will and testament. I revoke all wills and codicils previously made by me." I read through the articles quickly before I found my name.

"If I am to die before my daughter, Vanessa Monroe Valin turns 18 years of age, she is given full permission by me to live with her god-mother, Tasha Dooley. If Tasha Dooley does not give permission for Vanessa to live with her, she is to live with my sister and her husband, Alexis and Hayden Montgomery." I said as a smile just continued to appear on my face. I looked up at Tasha, giving her a pleading look.

"Please, Tasha? I don't even remember what my aunt and uncle look like! I'm going to live with total strangers." I said as she turned to Leo, who practically got on his knees and begged.

"Tasha, Vanessa has to stay. She can't stay more than a couple of days without a capsule and I think it's going to be hard to explain to the Montgomery's why she sleeps standing up in a display case." Mr. Davenport said as I gave him a smile of hope.

"Well alright. Looks like you'll be staying here for a while, Vanessa." Tasha said as everyone cheered, and I jumped into her arms. I was almost close to crying.

"Thank you so much, Tasha..." I muttered as she rubbed my back.

"You're welcome, Ness. Now, how about we let you alone for a little bit? You get dressed out of your mission suit and you can rest." She suggested as I smiled, everyone starting to walk out.

"Wait! Chase." He stopped, everyone continuing to walk out as he shut the door, the two of us now alone in the room. "I just wanted to say that-"

"I understand if you need more time, Dottie. I'll give you as much time as you need." Chase said as I nodded slowly in understanding.

"Thank you. I'm sorry about-"

"Don't be sorry about this. It'll make me feel like I'm being a huge dick. You just lost your parents. I don't want to rush you into a relationship after that." Chase said as I nodded, pulling him into a hug before we released it.

"I do like you Chase. A lot. I just don't know when I'll be ready for a relationship right now." I admitted as he cupped my face, smiling.

"It's okay, Dottie. I can wait." He winked, kissing the top of my head before walking out. I felt a smile twitch the corners of my lips before I sat back down at the bay window.

And maybe after 10 minutes of silence, I started to cry again.