Exoskeleton vs Grandma

5 days later

It was awkward to share a capsule with Chase. He said I sleep like a golden retriever, which happened to be his favorite dog breed. He's very basic.

Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night from a nightmare and my head would be resting on Chase's shoulder. I found it comforting, but it didn't make the nightmares go away.

I was good at hiding my pain. Everyone thought that because my parents were very rarely around that I got over it quickly, but they were wrong. I just mastered the art of masking.

No one knows about my nightmares. Not even Leo. And I tell him everything. Well, except for my insane crush on his step-brother.

I could sense Chase began to worry about me because of how okay I had been acting, but I just brushed it off and told him I was fine. Principal Perry even began being slightly nicer to me.

Well, she started calling me less harsh names. But it was something.

I picked at my cereal in despair, trying my best to look bored rather than sad as Adam bench pressed Leo, and Chase and Bree played catch or whatever it was.

Tasha was on the phone with Grandma Rose, Mr. Davenport trying to get access to some channel in Singapore. Earlier today, Chase had been geeking out for The Call whatever that was. He seemed excited about it, and it brought a small smile to my face in the moment.

I stood up and dumped my cereal out into the garbage disposal, popping two of the power pellets in my mouth and gagged at the flavor. It really did taste like dog treats.

"Yes, mom. Leo and I love our new home. Oh! You... should come and visit." Tasha said as my head snapped up, dropping the bowl I was holding into the sink. I heard it crack, wincing as I looked down to see it split in half.

"Sorry." I whispered. Now, I have to admit, I love Grandma Rose. The woman just scares me.

"But not today. Why? Because Donald's not feeling well." Tasha lied as we all looked at her, Mr. Davenport going back to stand on both legs. "Look, I gotta go. He just threw up in my purse. Love you, bye!" She hung up, taking in a breath.

"You know, we're gonna have to have your mother over eventually." Davenport said as Tasha shook her head.

"No, we don't. Look, my mom doesn't just visit. She has inspections. If she spots anything weird, she will use it as an excuse for her to move in." She said as I nodded, walking over next to her.

"She's right. Last time I made the mistake to invite Leo, Tasha and Grandma Rose to my house while my .. parents.. we're in Guatemala for a business trip, she didn't go home with Leo and Tasha." I said as Mr. Davenport sucked in a breath.

"Honey, when your mother visits, I will shower her with love, I will make her feel welcome and I will do anything humanly possible to--" before Mr. Davenport could finish, the doorbell rang, Tasha and I gasping.

"She's here!" I whisper yelled as Davenport froze.

"I'll be in the lab!" He said before dashing off, Adam, Bree and Chase running to huddle up together.

"Quick! Turn invisible!" Tasha ordered as the three of them looked at one another. "Oh, come on, you have every other freaky ability. Just run and hide!" She demanded as the three hide behind the counter. Leo and I stood arm to arm, grinning in fear.

"If I die, I'm haunting you and your family." I muttered as he nodded in agreement. Tasha fixed her shirt, going to open the door but her mother beat her to it.