Chapter 5

I must have lost my mind, Viola thought. How could I say yes without thinking?

"Please relax your face, Miss Viola. We are going to retouch your make-up a little bit. We'll make sure Mr. Oliver won't be able to take his eyes off you!" her make-up artist teased her.

Yeah, right. After the dinner that evening two weeks ago, Viola had not seen her husband-to-be. It would be good enough if he could remember her face. She remembered Leon's bewildered face when she agreed to his proposal. Was he expecting a "no"? Was he just joking? Oh my god, did he think I am someone who would marry for money?  Viola's face turned pale.

"Are you nervous? It's alright! Every bride will feel nervous on her wedding day!" the make-up artist comforted her.

It was Leon and Viola's wedding day. Viola had never imagined she would marry this way. Nonetheless, she was thankful that the Olivers agreed with her request for a "simple" wedding. Right after she accepted Leon's proposal, Ian had actually planned for an extravagant, glamorous wedding for them. It would feature a luxurious underwater reception accompanied by dolphins dancing troupe and an animated firework show that guests could enjoy while riding a hot air balloon in midwinter. Unfortunately for Ian, his "grand idea" was quickly put down by his in-laws, saying they did not think it was a good idea to abuse animals and the guests, and they also preferred to keep things simple and private as they were still in mourning period while his son just simply ignored his father's usual antics.

There was a knock on the door. Viola saw her father coming in, looking restless.

"Dad" Viola called softly. The make-up artist left the room to let them speak privately.

George took a seat beside Viola. Holding her hands, he looked at her with worried eyes.

"Are you really sure about this? You can still change your mind, you know?"

Viola smiled and shook her head. "I know what I'm doing. Don't worry, Dad."

George sighed. "I'm really sorry, Viola. I have failed you."

Viola hugged her father. "Dad, it's not your fault. If it's anybody's, it should have been mine. If only I  never met Walter, mom wouldn't be..."

Fighting back his tears, George patted his daughter's head lightly.

"Let's forget about the sad thing for now. You look beautiful. Mom would have been happy for you."

"She would, wouldn't she?" Viola's eyes teared up but she still managed to raise a smile.

There was another knock on the door.

"Miss Viola, the ceremony is starting soon. Are you ready?" Tom called from behind the door.

"Yes." answered Viola. She reached out her hand to her father, smiling "Let's go, Dad."

George took her daughter's hand and they left for the wedding hall together.

The wedding was held at Uni Infinitus owned 7-star hotel. Only a few relatives and some close friends were invited to the wedding. The guests were led to a big hall where the ceremony would take place and they were now mingling with each other, appreciating the food and busy making up stories about the young couple.

In the room next door, Leon was standing by the window. He looked exceptionally handsome wearing a black suit and his dark hair combed back. He was absentmindedly looking at the pouring snow outside when a knock on the door made him came back to his senses. Tom had come in to announce that the bride was on her way to the hall. Leon nodded and dismissed Tom. He poured a glass of water and drank it all in one gulp. He then looked at himself in the mirror, adjusted his bow tie and walked to the door. Holding the door handle, he paused for a while before stepping out of his room.