Chapter 12

"Can't sleep?" Leon asked from behind her back. Viola ignored him.

How can I sleep when there is a stranger lying next to me? Not to mention we are still a few hours before bedtime. Viola cried silently.

"Are your legs still hurting?" Leon asked again.

"No... they are fine." Viola answered, her back facing Leon.

Leon turned on his bedside table lamp and started studying some paper.

Viola turned her back and saw the paper on his hand. "What... are you doing?"

"You are not sleeping so I thought I'll do some... reading." Leon replied.

"You mean working." Viola corrected.

Leon continued his work. "Just lay there quietly until you are tired and sleep."

"I..." Viola sat up, clutching the blanket on top of her. "I... cannot sleep because you are here."

"Why?"

"I am... not used to sleeping with others."

"Not even your ex-boyfriend?"

Viola's cheeks reddened. "Wha... what are you saying?! We don't..."

"Try reading."

"Reading?" Viola looked at him with confused expression.

"Pick any book from here." Leon pointed to a row of books on top of the headboard behind him. "Get a book you think is the least interesting − who knows you may fall asleep after a few pages."

Viola doubted Leon's idea but moved closer to see the selection. Her shadow fell onto Leon as she was checking out the books on top of him. Leon could see Viola mumbling the book titles from below.

International trades, law, business, time management, marketing, another business management book. Viola studied every title.

"I'm... afraid there is nothing interesting here."

"That's the point though." Leon's eyes were still on her.

"I'll just randomly choose one." Viola pulled out a book. "This looks boring."

"Which one?"

"Here." Viola tilted her head downward slightly to show him the book and a few loose strands of her long, light brown hair fell on his face. Their eyes met each other.

Leon lifted the loose hair and tucked it behind Viola's right ear. Viola froze, a look of surprise crossed her face. His hand slid down to the side of her face and his fingers caressed her cheek gently− his eyes still fixed on Viola's green eyes.

Viola tried to turn her face away to hide her embarrassment but Leon prohibited her from doing so. He freed his other hand that was holding his work files, letting them all fell down to the floor, and moved it behind her back.

"Your documents..." Viola reached out to retrieve the paper. Leon grabbed her hand and she fell on his chest with the book she just picked, pressed in between. The tip of their nose almost touched. Viola's heartbeat elevated. It was so loud she was certain Leon could hear it. Leon wrapped his arms around her back, trapping Viola in his embrace.

"What are you..."

He pulled her face closer and kissed her lips softly. Viola wanted to protest but Leon did not let her. Her voice was drowned by the kiss.

When his lips finally left hers, he patted her cheek lightly.

Viola came back to her senses. "Wh... why did you..." She could not finish her sentence. She covered her lips with both her hands, embarrassed.

Leon chuckled and gave her a quick peck on her cheek.

"Alright. Good night." He tucked Viola back under the blanket and removed the book from her hand before turning the light off.

There was no way Viola could sleep after what just happened. Her heart was beating so fast and she could feel her body getting hot.

Viola shivered under the blanket. I think I may have developed a fever.