Chapter 40

"Why did you stop me? That girl was so rude!" Maria looked as if she wanted to strangle someone.

"Maria, I know how you feel. I am angry at her too, but the situation doesn't look good for Madam right now." Aria tried to calm her sister down. Sitting with them in the kitchen, Nadia was considering if she should call Ian. Before she could make up her mind, she heard the sound of car engine's starting up.

"Has she left?" Nadia asked.

Aria ran to the kitchen's windows. She saw the car moving towards the front gate. "Looks like so."

"Don't ever come back!!" Maria shouted her heart out.

***

Viola was still standing with her back against the door. She had not moved since Leon closed the door behind her. No, she did not dare to move.

"Why are you still standing there?" Leon asked. He just came out of the changing room.

"Oh... nothing. Umm... are you... okay?" Viola asked nervously.

Leon only stared at her with tired gloomy eyes.

"You... must be tired. Just rest for today. I mean... we can talk tomorrow, or anytime! Whenever you are free!" Viola tried to sound cheerful.

"Come here." Leon said softly. He was standing in front of his working desk.

"Eh? Now? But I..." Viola did not want to hear anything now. She knew whatever Leon was going to tell her, she would not like it.

"Just come here."

Viola walked towards him reluctantly.

Leon took Viola's hands and looked into her eyes. "Don't worry. This is your home. You are not going anywhere."

Viola bit her lip. "What... happened to the project?"

"Nothing." Leon replied short.

Viola did not buy his answer and he knew it.

Leon scratched his eyebrow. He looked down to his hands which were twisting Viola's fingers. "It was not a big problem. It just got... delayed."

"You are lying." Viola said bluntly.

"I'm not."

"Then you are half lying." Viola knitted her brows.

Leon chuckled. He lifted Viola by the arms and sat her on his desk while he stood beside her, leaning against the desk.

"I'm sure you have seen the news about the Governor."

Viola nodded.

"The central government of Mir Islands is now investigating the island selling business case. Until all is clear, any development on the land is prohibited. And because it involves large companies, foreign countries and probably some influential individuals, I assume they want to do it very carefully. They may even make new rules. In other words, our project may be delayed for months or even years. We don't know." Leon ended his talk.

Ian had warned Leon the possibility of the purchased land being investigated when he told his father his plan to make the Governor hand over Eugene that he suspected was hidden by the Governor, to him. Ian did not support illegal business dealing but he knew how this would affect their project. He trusted Leon to make the decision.

Viola looked at him, unsure what to say. The news reported that the Governor of Mir had recently been caught for bribery along with a man who had been hiding the truth. Both men had since admitted the crime and were now serving their time in jail. With the help of the legal team from Ian Oliver, the Ernest family name too was finally cleared. Viola was thankful that Eugene was finally caught, but at the same time she could not feel happy because the much-awaited justice also meant dragging others down, including Uni Infinitus... and Leon.

Leon moved to the front. With her sitting high on the desk and him leaning towards her, they were now on the same eye level. Viola quickly averted her eyes.

"What's wrong?" Leon asked.

"I'm sorry. I just feel so useless now." Viola gave out a hollow laugh.

"Why?"

"Didn't you agree to marry me because of the project? It is suspended now."

He turned her face back to him. "At least I still have these."

"What?" Viola's green eyes widened.

Leon's lips curled up. "This pair of eyes."

Viola looked at him, dumbfounded. Her face became hot. She brushed off his hands.

"I... I don't know what you are talking about!"

"Didn't I tell you before? You have beautiful eyes." Leon answered casually. His eyes fixed at hers.

"Nonsense! E... Everyone in Mir has them!" Viola tried to cover her red face.

Leon blocked her hands. "Your face is red."

"Stop doing this already!" Viola's heart was beating hard.

"Doing what?"

"Ju... just look away!"

Leon laughed. A genuine laugh. Viola wanted to keep seeing him laughing like this by his side, but she was not confident she was good enough for him. Even more after this incident. Her chest hurt. She remembered Lady Sarah associating her with a parasite.

"Now that my citizenship has no use for you..."

Leon stopped laughing.

"Are you sure you still want to continue with this marriage? I... I mean, Lady Sarah has come back too... and should the case be solved, you still can continue your project as I have signed the contract to lend the land to you anyway..., I will help to convince your dad about it, so don't worry..." Viola could feel her heart tightened as she was talking.

Leon just stared at her silently. Viola could not make out his expression.

She waited. Say something.

Tears were forming around her eyes. She quickly looked down.

"I am fine if... if you want to end our agreement. I cannot give you anything anyway... so if... you want to end this... marriage..." Her voice trailed off.

"Is that what you want?" Leon asked firmly.

Viola looked at Leon. "I..."

"Is that what you really want?" He asked again.

Viola shook her head earnestly.

"I don't! I don't want this to end but..."

"Then don't." Leon stopped her.

"But..."

"Do you still want to be here?" He asked.

Viola bit her lip and then slowly nodded.

"Then stay."

"Can I really stay...?"

Leon touched her face and smiled mischievously.

"Can I kiss you now?"

Viola's eyes widened. What is he thinking?? "How can you ask..."

"I'll take that as a yes." He pulled her face closer, and kissed her.