Chapter 53

Viola woke up alone in the bedroom. The familiar bed, smell, wallpaper, and curtains she knew. I am back here... She looked around but could not find Leon. She turned to the clock by the bedside. It was 7 in the morning. Has he left for work? She wished she could see him before he left.

A knock was heard on the door. After Viola gave a permission to enter, Aria came in.

"Madam..." Aria bit her lip.

Viola smiled apologetically. "I'm sorry to have caused you all trouble..."

Aria shook her head. "What are you saying...? We are just happy to see you back here..."

"Thank you, Aria..."

Aria nodded. "Ah, by the way, Young Master asked me to wake you up. He is waiting for you at the dining room downstairs." She almost forgot what she came here for.

"Leon is still here?" Viola asked in surprise. She quickly went to change. At the bathroom when she was washing her face, she noticed something in the mirror. She looked at her left hand. When did it...

Viola found Leon sitting alone in the dining room, reading the newspaper.

"Good... morning." Viola took the seat beside him.

"You are up." Leon folded the newspaper and put it aside.

"What is this?" Viola showed him the ring on her finger.

Leon tilted his head. "Your wedding ring?" He showed her his too.

"I know that!" She frowned. She looked at the white diamond ring on her finger.

"It's yours. You left it here last time." Leon replied and sipped his coffee.

"We have divorced, remember?" Viola emphasized her message further.

Leon rubbed the back of his neck. "Actually... we are not. We were never divorced to begin with." He averted his eyes and continued sipping his coffee.

"Huh?" Viola was confused. She clearly remembered both of them signing the paper and she had passed it Tom to have it processed. Now that she thought about it, she had not received any notification from the office.

"A divorce paper has to be submitted by either of the petitioners. It cannot be represented." Leon said as he munched his bread. "You were not here and I was busy and didn't have the chance to..."

Viola was too shocked that she was lost for words. "What..."

"So... yeah... we are still legally married to each other." He put his cup down.

Leon could see her eyes full of questions and confused. He put his hand on top of hers. "Are you happy that I still belong to you?" Leon smiled broadly. Viola was annoyed. She suddenly felt tired for no reason.

"Come, eat your breakfast. I think Tom is here already – I need to leave soon." He checked his watch. Viola's expression changed.

"Are you sure you can go to work now? I'm worried about your condition, Leon. Just like yesterday... what if..." Viola did not continue her sentence.

Crap. He had forgotten about his lie. He took another bite of bread. "I'm alright." He paused for a few seconds and then added with a playful smile. "But I think I will feel better if I can get a kiss from you."

Viola stood up, looking displeased. Her face was red. "You... you still have the energy to joke around??"

"It's okay if you don't want to. I won't force you." Leon replied in sulky mood, stabbing a stack of hams with his fork repeatedly.

What are you? A 5-year-old???

Viola pursed her lip. "Look here." As soon as Leon turned his head to her, she bent her head and gave him a quick peck on the lips. Leon was caught off guard. Even after their lips had parted, he did not move for a while.

"If I hear you pass out at the office again, I am really leaving you this time!" Viola ran out of the dining room. Her cheeks were turning crimson and her heart was beating so hard that she thought she was the one who would pass out soon.

"Did something good happen, Sir?" Tom asked from the driver seat as he drove Leon to the office. He had been peeking at the back seat from the rear mirror.

"What is it?" Leon asked without looking at his assistant.

"Well, you look... happy? I mean, after what happened yesterday..."

Leon watched the scenery from the window. "Works are piling in the office. I want to get them done as soon as possible... so I can leave earlier for home to rest too."

"Understood, Sir." Tom replied although he was not sure if Leon was answering his question.

Tom was relieved to see his employer back in good health but could not brush away the thought that Leon might have injured his head from falling down too many times lately making him smiling nonstop since he got into the car.

***

The diamond ring on her finger reflected the light from the bedroom window, making it harder for Viola not to notice its existence on her finger. She stroked the ring with her thumb. Is it really okay to be here? She had asked herself this question countless times since yesterday. Deep down, she knew she wanted to be here by Leon's side but she was also haunted by what Lady Sarah said. It was obvious that Leon cared for her, out of love – or out of pity she did not know, but she knew Leon would not think twice to save her if she was in trouble, and that worried her.

She snatched her bag and walked out of the bedroom.

"Are you going somewhere, Madam?" Nadia asked when she saw Viola coming down from the staircase.

"Yeah... my stuff... was still at the hotel. I thought of retrieving them and checking out the room, as well." Viola explained.

Nadia was delighted to hear that. The mistress was thinking of moving back to the house. She laughed softly.

"There is no need for that, Madam. This morning, Young Master had ordered us to do so. I think Aria will arrive with all your things here soon."

"Eh...?" Viola was surprised... not. Of course Leon knew where she was staying all this time. That stalker. Viola frowned.

"Should I make you a cup of tea? We can wait together in the living room." Nadia tried to ease her mood.

Suddenly, Maria came running to them.

"Maria! How many times I've told you! Don't run!" Nadia snarled at the young maid.

"Mrs. Ellis, Madam! That witch is here again! I saw her car coming in!"

The room fell silent. Nadia's expression was grim. Viola could not read if the senior was angry at Maria or at the uninvited guest.