Chapter 49

Viola was sitting by Leon's bedside. Months ago, she had met with the same situation and both incidents were indirectly linked to her. She looked at his peaceful sleeping face. What should she tell him when he wakes up? Viola took Leon's hand and kissed his forehead.

"Please get well soon. You can get angry all you want with me when you wake up." Tears started to drop on her hand. "Just don't hurt yourself like this, please..." Viola sobbed.

The room was quiet. She held his hand tightly and continued watching him through the night.

Leon woke up feeling weak. Ugh. He looked around and noticed he was in the hospital... again. He remembered sweating a lot and vomited several times in his office not long after he ate the cake. He cursed himself. What was he thinking eating that whole cake by himself? The cake must have gone bad. He stared into the ceiling, feeling helpless. That woman still made him feel bad after she left, he thought.

Suddenly, he heard the door opened. Someone came out from the washroom. When he turned to see who was in his room, he thought he was hallucinating.

"Leon...?" Viola looked surprised. She quickly came to his side. "How are you feeling? Are you still feeling unwell somewhere?" She touched his forehead to check his temperature.

Leon removed her hand from himself and looked at her. "What are you doing here?"

"I... I heard you are sick and came to see you..."

Leon turned his face away from her. "Leave. Now that you have seen me, you can leave now."

Viola's heart ached but she tried not to show it. "I'll call the doctor."

"It's not your job. Tom will take care of that." Leon said without looking at her.

"Leon..." Viola pleaded.

"Please. Just leave. I'm tired. I don't want to argue with you."

Viola finally gave up. She bit her lip and walked out of the room. Dr. Gale was about to make a visit round when he saw Viola coming out from Leon's ward.

"Mrs. Oliver!" Dr. Gale called.

Viola looked up and saw the warm smile from the doctor who had treated both her and Leon a couple of times in just the span of a few months.

"Sorry to bother you again, doctor." Viola apologized.

"What are you saying? This is my job." Dr. Gale chuckled. "Is he awake?"

Viola nodded weakly. "Please take care of him." she lowered her head.

"Don't worry. I will. By the way, I saw your father-in-law arriving just now with Miss Thomas."

Viola shivered. She was not ready to meet Ian. What should she say? She quickly bid farewell to the doctor and walked the other way.

***

"No wonder your wife left you. You don't know how to function after she left?" Ian looked at his son, who was lying on the hospital bed. Leon ignored him.

Ian paused for a while and then continued to ask. "Is she still angry with you? When is she coming back?" His ladies-first father did not even bother asking about his condition.

Nadia had told Leon that she lied to his father about their divorce. She told Ian the young couple quarreled the other night and Viola had since left on a trip to calm herself down.

"She was here just now." Leon replied indifferently.

Ian looked surprised. "She is back? Where is she now?"

Leon shrugged his shoulders. His father let out a sigh. Youngsters these days.

The door opened and someone walked into Leon's room. It was Sarah.

"How are you feeling, Leon?" Sarah asked. She was carrying what looked like a soup container. Ian took the container from her and placed it on the side table.

"This is from Nadia. She is worried about you." Ian took a chair and sat beside him. "Let's eat while it's still warm."

"I'll eat it later. I want to sleep." Leon turned his body away from the visitors.

"I'll accompany him, Uncle Ian. You can go back to the company if you are busy." Sarah offered.

"I want to be alone." Leon said without looking back.

Ian sighed. "Let's go, Sarah."

"But..."

"We can come again later." Ian persuaded her. Sarah was unhappy but followed along with Ian.

After both his father and Sarah left, Leon turned back and lay facing the ceiling again. He recalled his meeting with Viola just a while ago. When did she return to Bellfield? Wasn't she in Mir? Or at least, that was what the secret guards had reported. Yes, the bodyguards he hired were still following his "ex-wife" around. Without her knowing, of course. Leon noticed her red puffy eyes when he saw her this morning. Was he too harsh on her? He got up to look for his phone but could not find it anywhere. Tom was probably hiding all his stuff, he thought. He lay on his back and went to sleep again.

Three days later, Leon was already feeling better. He began to accept visitors coming to see him. His father, Tom, Nadia and Sarah visited him every day, but Viola had not showed up since that day. She does not even bother to come see me again? Leon was in bad mood. He was not in the mood to listen to Tom's lecture on nutrition.

"Did you upset Madam again, Sir? I haven't seen her lately." Tom asked as he accompanied Leon in the ward. Leon as usual, ignored him.

"Please don't blame her. She didn't think you will eat the cake anyway." The assistant added.

"When can I leave this place?" Leon changed the subject. He was annoyed to be confined in the hospital.

"Dr. Gale would like to monitor you for another 2-3 days. Oh right, I need to deal with the check-out administration." Tom clapped his hands together. "I can't believe a cake would actually cost us this much." Tom shook his head in disbelief. An idea crossed Leon's mind.

"Wait." Leon called back his assistant.

"Is there something you need, Sir?"

"Tell Dr. Gale I want to stay here for another week." Leon tapped his fingers on the over-bed table.

Tom looked at his boss, baffled at the request. "What? Why? Do you still feel sick somewhere?" Tom was worried. He knew his employer hated the hospital.

"Nothing. I want to stay here longer, that's all." Leon replied calmly.

Tom was terrified. He reminded himself to make sure to inform Dr. Gale to check Leon's brain too.