Chapter 13

Except, she was wrong. Viola slept soundly until the next day and she was in good condition when she woke up. Her swelling was still there but it had significantly healed. She sat up and looked around.

"You are awake."

Viola blushed as she saw Leon walked in from what looked like a dressing room. He was still buttoning his vest.

"Good... morning." Viola said softly almost inaudible.

"Stay in bed until your legs heal." Leon ordered as he glanced at his watch. "I'm leaving."

He picked up his suit jacket and walked towards the door.

"Wa... wait!" Viola called.

Leon stopped and turned his head. "What is it?"

"Are you... planning something?" Viola did not know how to bring up the subject. The embarrassing subject.

Leon gave her a curious look.

"I... I mean if it's for PR purpose... like our wedding..." Viola was embarrassed. She wanted to avoid the word.

"You mean why I kissed you last night?" Leon asked bluntly.

Viola blushed, nodding her head. The room fell silent for a while.

"I... don't know." Leon slowly replied. "Your lips were just... there."

What?

"It's not a big deal. Don't worry about it."

What?

"I'm leaving now. Ask Nadia if you need anything." With that, Leon left the house.

Viola sat with her mouth agape. Did he just say he kissed me because my lips were there? Viola's blood was boiling. And it's not a big deal?? We both know we are not in a relationship where kissing is normal!

Viola disobeyed Leon's order to stay in bed and left the room. Nadia saw her as she walked down the stairs with her bandaged legs.

"Madam! Do you need something? We can bring them up..." Two maids came to assist Viola.

"Thank you, Nadia. I couldn't sleep well last night. I'd like to return to my room."

"But young master clearly..." Nadia recalled what Leon told her this morning before he left - that his wife was not allowed to leave their bedroom until her injuries healed completely.

"Don't mind him." Viola continued to descend the staircase.

Nadia gave out a depressing sigh. She instructed her subordinates to help Viola back into her old room.

***

"Sir, I met Secretary Iris the other day." Tom reported. Leon remembered Iris as one of his father's secretaries.

"What about it?" Leon asked while scrolling through files in his phone.

"It seems the Chairman is looking for Mr. Ernest's former employees, Mr. Walter and Mr. Eugene."

Leon turned his attention to Tom. He did not say a word but Tom understood the signal that his boss was waiting for him to explain more.

"I heard the hired investigators have not succeeded in finding anything in the past few weeks but..." Tom spoke hesitantly.

"Speak."

"It seems... odd to me. We know how these people work – they are the best in this country. They could find you within a few hours when you were kid..." Tom gasped in horror.

"I... I apologize, Sir."

Leon ignored him. What Tom said was right. His father only hired the best people. It was incredibly strange that these two people could hide from them for weeks unless...

"You may leave." Leon dismissed his assistant.

Leon swiveled his chair and faced the big window that allowed him to see the beautiful skyline of Bellfield City. Tom collected some documents on Leon's desk and was prepared to leave the room.

"One more thing."

"Yes, Sir?"

"Find out where Viola went yesterday."

"Madam, Sir?"

Leon did not answer. He looked at the wedding ring on his finger – his eyes troubled.