Chapter 39

"Don't cry. It's not that we can't see each other anymore." George stroked Viola's hair. They were in the airport now.

Viola hugged her father tightly. "I'll visit you soon. Take care, Dad."

"Okay."

After saying goodbye to everyone, George left for Mir with teary eyes.

Viola rubbed her nose, sniffling slightly.

"You miss your father already? He is just going back home. You can see him anytime you want. Even now, I can arrange..." Leon talked as he drove. They were in the car back to their mansion.

Viola turned to Leon. She looked annoyed. "Am I not allowed to feel lonely? Leave me alone."

"But you have me." Leon replied without looking at her.

Viola stared at Leon with her mouth agape. "Wha..." Her face blushed. How can he say such shameless thing? Viola turned her face to the window. She did not want Leon to see her face turning red. To her relief, Leon did not say anything embarrassing after that. He continued to drive silently and Viola had seemed to forget about her loneliness.

Their car passed through the front gate of their home. They noticed an unfamiliar car parked nearby the entrance. Someone important, judging from the shiny luxurious looking car and a chauffeur (or a bodyguard) dressed in black standing beside it.

"Are you expecting someone?" Viola asked. She did not know anyone in Bellfield so it had to be Leon's guest.

"Not that I remember." Leon searched through his mind. He stopped his car in front of the entrance and Nadia greeted them by the door.

"Wel... welcome home, Young Master and..." Nadia's eyes turned to Viola. "Madam..." The usually fearless senior was looking nervous.

"Are you okay, Nadia? You look pale." Viola asked.

Then suddenly, Leon's phone rang. Leon looked at the ID. It was Ian. Leon picked up the call and listened silently. His face was grim. Viola wondered who called him.

"Alright, I know. Okay. I'm hanging up." Leon pressed the end call button. He gave out a sigh.

"Is everything alright?" Viola asked. Everyone seemed to be gloomy all of a sudden.

Leon scratched his eyebrow. He walked closer to Viola and grabbed her hand. "Let's go in. You'll find out soon." He eyed Nadia before walking through the door. "I'll take care of this."

Viola walked into the house with her hand still pulled by Leon. "Wa... wait, Leon. Why are you suddenly..."

"LEON??" An excited female voice echoed inside the house. It came from the living room. Viola could hear the sound of high heels clicking on the floor. She looked up and saw a young woman with long caramel brown hair. She was walking towards them. Her posture told she was brought up in a proper, well off family. Her steps grew faster as she got closer.

Both Leon and Viola did not move. Viola still could not make out what was happening.

"It's really you! You are here, Leon!!" The young woman put her arms around Leon. "I miss you so much!!"

And then Viola saw her face. She felt as if her heart skipped a beat. The woman in front of her was now a few years older but she was certain that she was the same person as the little girl who was sitting on the bench with Leon years ago at the backyard. Lady Sarah Thomas!

Leon could feel Viola's hand turned stiff. He did not let go of her hand.

"Let me go, Sarah." He said coldly.

"Can't I hug you a little longer? We haven't seen..."

"Let me go now." Leon repeated.

Sarah pouted. "Fine!" She stepped back and glared at Leon. Her eyes moved to Viola.

"So it's true. I heard you got married." Sarah studied Viola from head to toe. "to a foreigner." She added.

Viola felt uncomfortable. She looked away.

"What do you come here for?" Leon ignored Sarah's remark.

"I just wanted to see you. I just got back to Bellfield a while ago, I thought..."

Leon cut her sentence. "Now that you have seen me, you can leave. I am tired after a long drive. I am going to rest. Let's go, Viola." He pulled Viola's hand and walked towards the staircase.

"Leon ..." Viola felt awkward. It seemed rude for Leon to leave his guest like that, and Sarah was not just an ordinary guest. She was once engaged to him!

"Leon!!" Sarah cried.

Leon ignored both of them and continued walking.

Sarah was annoyed. "You don't have a reason to be with her now. Why are you still playing this?"

Leon stopped. "I don't know what you are talking about."

"Of course you do! That's why I come today!" Sarah was half shouting.

What is going on? Viola looked at Leon's face. He looked... troubled.

"Leon...?"

Seeing Leon's troubled expression, Viola turned to face Sarah.

"Lady... Sarah, isn't it? I am Viola." Viola smiled politely at her. "If there is anything I can help..."

"You? Help? Don't make me laugh." Sarah snorted. "Can you help people when you are leeching off Leon yourself now?"

"Sarah!" Leon shouted at her.

"I..." Viola bit her lip. She was embarrassed, and angry but she could not argue back. Deep down, she knew it was true. Except for her birth cert, she had no use in this household.

"Do you know now that..." Sarah was about to continue before she was cut by another person.

"How dare you talk to Madam like that! Who do you think you are?" Maria, who was helping with the luggage, could not hold her anger when she accidentally heard Sarah shouting at her mistress.

Nadia and Aria were horrified. They quickly dragged the girl away while apologizing.

"Let me go! I swear I'm going to slap... urmmggg" Aria covered her sister's loud mouth while pulling her.

"Insolent girl! How can she speak to me like that! I'll tell Uncle Ian to teach her a lesson." Sarah fumed.

"I... I'm sorry." Viola quickly lowered her head. "Please let her off this time. I... I apologized for her. She isn't usually like that... she..."

"You don't have to apologize. You are leaving soon anyway." Sarah laughed in a mocking way.

"Eh?"

"Sarah, if you are here to talk nonsense. Leave. We don't want to waste anyone's time." Leon grabbed Viola's hand again. "Let's go."

"Why are you angry? I'm just speaking the truth. Your Mir Islands Project is in trouble right now." Sarah pouted.

The Mir Islands Project. It's in trouble? Viola stopped moving. She turned to Leon. "Leon? Did something... happen?"

Leon did not reply. He held Viola's hand tighter and continued climbing upstairs towards their room, dragging Viola with him.

"Wait, Leon! My hand... it hurts."

"That girl is useless now!"

It was as if he could not hear Viola's frightened voice and Sarah screaming from downstairs, Leon pushed Viola into the room and shut the door with a loud bang.