Chapter 11

"Madam! What happened?" a maid rushed to help Viola as she opened the door. Her legs were covered with bruises and one of her ankles was visibly swollen. The maid went on to call for Nadia.

"It's... It's not serious. I fell down because I wasn't paying attention to the traffic. Don't worry." Viola refused Nadia's plea to send her to hospital. "I'll apply some ointment tonight and it will be gone tomorrow." Viola smiled brightly to put the maids at ease. She walked back to her room slowly so as to not add any more burden to the already painful bruise. Nadia offered to help but Viola reassured her that she would be fine by herself.

After cleaning herself, Viola sat down at the end of her bed to apply the medicinal rub to her now completely swollen foot. She took out a roll of bandage and was trying to wrap it on her leg when the roll slipped out of her hand and fell down to the floor, rolling over towards the door.

Her door suddenly opened and the roll stopped in front of a pair of black leather shoes.

Viola was still figuring out how to bandage her ankle and did not look up to see who was standing in front of her room. "I... I'm sorry. Can you please pass me the band..."

"What are you doing?"

Viola stopped dead. The man picked up the bandage and walked towards Viola.

Viola looked up with a nervous smile. "You... are home, Leon?" He was now standing in front of her.

"Did you injure yourself?" Leon ignored her greeting and knelt down to take a look at her swollen leg. He touched her ankle.

"What... what are you doing?" Viola cried.

"Is it painful?" Leon continued touching and poking her leg without looking up.

"Pl... please stop touching it!" Viola's face was red hot. She tried to protect the wounds from Leon but lost her balance and fell on Leon's embrace.

"I... I'm sorry!" Viola pulled backward to release herself but Leon was faster. He was now standing with Viola carried in his arm.

"Call Dr. Gale." Leon commanded.

"Yes, Sir." A maid behind ran off quickly to make the call.

Leon carried Viola out of her room and strode across the main hall. He paused for a while and started to climb the staircase.

"Wait... where... where are we going?" Viola asked, sensing a dangerous turn of events coming.

"My room." Leon replied while continued to go up the stairs.

"Wha... Why? I'd like to return to my room... My leg is now inconvenient..."

"Do you want the doctor to think I make you sleep in a servant's room?" Leon interrupted Viola's rambling talk. Viola could not retaliate so she chose to keep her mouth shut.

They entered his room. "Just sit here quietly until the doctor comes." Leon carried her to bed and left to take a shower. Viola observed the room. It was the first time Viola set foot on Leon's – or what she assumed to be their room. Big would be understatement, the room was colossal – it took almost the entire second floor. Viola had wanted to see more but her legs were in bad condition.

A few minutes past and Viola heard someone knocking at the door.

"Mrs. Oliver, this is Gale. Can I come in?" A low male voice asked from behind the door.

"Ye... Yes, please come in." Viola sat upright to welcome the doctor.

The door opened and a man carrying a medical bag walked in.

Nash Gale was a chubby man in his sixties. He had kind eyes and a gentle air around him. He smiled beamingly as he saw Viola.

"I'm Dr. Gale. A pleasure to meet you, Madam."

"Hello, Dr. Gale. I am Viola."

"I heard you have hurt yourself. Can I take a look?" Dr. Gale pointed to Viola's legs.

Viola nodded and showed Dr. Gale her swollen discolored ankle. Dr. Gale began taking out his equipment to treat the injured legs.

"The wounds should all heal after two weeks. For the time being, please refrain from walking too much." Dr. Gale advised as he prepared to leave after treating Viola's injury.

"Drink this medicine if you develop a fever." Dr. Gale added.

"Is she okay?" Leon appeared from the bathroom. He was still wearing his bathrobe, his hair wet.

"Yes, Mr. Oliver. I've treated her wounds. Your wife will be okay."

Leon nodded.

"Thank you, doctor." Viola lowered her head.

"You are welcome, Madam. I'll take my leave now."

The room fell silent after Dr. Gale left.

Viola slowly removed herself from the bed and quietly walked to the door while holding onto the wall and nearby objects for support.

"Where do you think you are going?" Leon asked from behind his desk while reading some reports – he was not looking at Viola. Viola stopped herself at the door and turned her head back.

"I... think Dr. Gale has left. I can go back..." Viola's sentence was cut.

"You are not. You are sleeping here tonight." Leon continued flipping the pages in his hand.

"What? No... No, I don't think that's a good idea. You don't want me to disturb you working. I want to sleep now and... I need to sleep with the light off. You are still working... and..." Viola could not stop herself talking. Her mind was running rampant.

Viola was so nervous she did not realize Leon was now standing in front of her by the door. He carried her in his arm again and walked back to where the bed was before Viola could resist.

"Let's sleep now." Leon said softly as he turned the light off.