Spoken Truth

Athena moves to step in front of Pallas, but Pallas blocks her with an arm. "I can fight my own battles, Thene." Apollo lifts an eyebrow at that, but Pallas just stares at him with a stoic expression. "What makes me special is none of your concern, until and unless we choose to share it with you."

Athena gives her a look, a question in her eyes. 'May I?' With a sigh, Pallas nods. Athena looks to her brother. "Apollo, this is Pallas."

His expression shutters. "Pallas? As in the Pallas we were to never speak of around you?"

Pallas hears as Athena inhales slightly, stiffening. "Who told you not to speak of her?"

"Father. He mentioned it was a touchy subject."

Athena nods sharply. "Well. Yes, this is she."

Apollo frowns. "Wasn't she dead?"

Pallas sighs. "Yes, I was dead. I was reborn. Any questions?"

"How are you here?"

"If you mean how do I exist, I suppose that would be up to the Fates. If you mean how have I returned, then I do not know."

Apollo takes a step back. "You speak truth. Interesting."

"Were you expecting me to lie?"

Apollo blinks and opens his mouth, but Athena intercepts before he can dig himself into a deeper hole and have Pallas verbally tear him to shreds. "Is there a reason you came here, brother?"

"Nothing beyond curiosity for the demigod sitting on your windowsill, sister."

"Then perhaps you could give us privacy."

Apollo nods and with a crackling sound and ripple of heat, he vanishes, dousing them in darkness. Athena touches Pallas' shoulder, guiding her now that she's lost her night vision for a few moments.

"When did you wake?"

"Not long ago. Perhaps half an hour?"

"What woke you?"

Pallas shifts. "A nightmare, nothing more."

"Pallas . . . even I know that was a lie, and I have blinders on around you. There is something more to it than that. What was your nightmare about?"

"I don't want to talk about it, Thene."

Athena sighs. "Sometimes, the things we most fear are the very things we must face. Hiding away from it will not of any assistance. Tell me the nightmare."

"Thene, I don't want to!"

"Why?"

"Because it hurts!"

"Hurts me or you?"

Pallas sobs, "It would hurt us both, Thene."

Athena stumbles, her hand leaving Pallas' shoulder for a heartbeat. "Pallas, tell me what the dream was about. Please."

Pallas' voice quavers. "I think you already know."

"The last-" Athena's voice fades, but Pallas nods. "Oh, Pallas. How many times?"

"Both- both nights I've slept, and the one time I saw it in the water."

"Is this why you didn't want to sleep?" Pallas nods. "I can talk to Morpheus-"

Pallas shakes her head so hard that her hair swings around to wack her in the face. "No. It's fine. I'm fine."

"You're not."

"I am when I'm awake, Thene. It's only when I'm sleeping that the terrors come."

"That doesn't mean you're fine, Pallas."

Pallas grimaces. "Can you just- let it go? Please?"

"For now. Do you want to try to sleep again? Or do you think the nightmare will come back?"

Pallas pulls the blanket tighter around her shoulders. "I think I'd like to try again. Will you stay with me?"

Athena sends her a smile that glows even through the darkness that makes her so hard to see. "I always will."

When they climb back into the bed, Pallas shifts towards Athena, leaving behind any cautionary distance she could have implemented. Athena presses a kiss to Pallas' cheek and pulls her in close to her chest, wrapping her arms around Pallas as if she was a shield that could fend away her fears.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pallas would absolutely rip Apollo to pieces. What do you think of Athena shielding Pallas? Do you think she'll get help for the flashback/nightmare/dreams? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out