Thunder in Blue Skies

Pallas returns to Athena's side and smiles at her. "Are you friendly with the Hesperides?"

"As much as I can be, with limited interactions with them. They reminded me of you, especially the youngest."

"Arethusa?"

Athena shakes her head as she steers Pallas toward the entrance to the garden. "No, the fifth Hesperide. Zoë."

Pallas blinks. "There's a fifth?"

"There was, once. She was exiled from the garden an eon ago, and she joined my sister in her hunt."

"Where is she? Can I meet her?"

Athena stops, surprise rippling across her face. "Oh. You never knew, did you?" Pallas shakes her head, frowning in confusion. "Knew what? Am I missing something?"

"Zoë died, several years ago. She was on a quest with some of Artemis' hunters and your brother to rescue Artemis after she was kidnapped. Zoë was killed by her father, Atlas, and Artemis put her into the sky as a constellation. I'll point her out to you when the stars come out tonight."

"Oh. That must have been horrible."

Athena sighs. "My sister took it quite badly. Zoë had been with her for most fo the hunt's existence. It hurt her, to lose her companion as she did."

Pallas nods and they lapse into a comfortable silence while they walk, Pallas looking every which way to take in the scenery of the garden. She hadn't fully taken it in before, she had been so focused on her task. All too soon, they reach the four remaining Hesperides, still lingering at the entrance to the garden.

Erythleia frowns at their approach, her gaze lingering on Athena. "My lady, I didn't realize you were here."

Athena smiles. "There is no need for you to worry, Erythleia. I did not enter the garden the normal way, and I would not have expected you to be aware of my presence."

Despite Athena's reassurances, the Hesperide still looks to be on edge. But even so, she turns to Pallas. "Did Ladon allow you through? I don't see an apple."

Pallas nods. "He did, and you don't see the apple because I ate it."

Erythleia's eyes widen, and one of her sisters steps forward. Hesperia, if Pallas is correct. "You ate it? You told us that you were collecting it on a quest for Lady Hera!"

Athena steps in to defuse the situation before the Hesperides can advance more than a few steps. "She did not lie to you, Aegle." Pallas hides a wince. At least she didn't try to name the Hesperide aloud, as that would be quite embarrassing. "Pallas did retrieve an apple for my step-mother, and she was told to consume it."

Another Hesperide, this one truly Hesperia, speaks this time. "Why would the lady have her eat it, if she guards this garden so fiercely? We weren't enough to protect it in her eyes, that's why we have Ladon. What would be the purpose of retrieving an apple for Lady Hera if she would never receive it?"

Pallas sighs. "I was sent on this quest to prove to Queen Hera that I deserved to regain my immortality. The apple was my prize if I completed it."

Erythleia's eyes light up in understanding. "Because the apples grant immortality."

Pallas nods. "Exactly."

Erythleia dips her head. "Well, welcome back to your immortal life."

Pallas laughs. "And may it last."

Athena tenses from beside her and Pallas squeezes her hand, murmuring an apology. She hadn't meant to remind her partner of how her last life ended. Athena gives her a tentative smile, though it trembles, and Pallas sighs. Arethusa pushes forward through the rest of her sisters to stand in front of Pallas, her gaze pleading.

"If you have your immortality back, do you think you could visit? You still owe me that story."

Pallas laughs. "I'll try. I don't think Ladon would be very happy if I didn't come back, but we'll have to ask Queen Hera. It is still her garden."

"Do let us know what her answer is, at least. You could always visit at the entrance if she doesn't let you in."

There is a soft rumble of thunder from above them and Pallas jumps, peering up at the blue sky. There isn't a cloud in sight, so why is there thunder? Athena looks up too, and grimaces. She nudges Pallas' side and murmurs.

"I think our time here is up. My father has caught wind of the situation, and I don't think he is pleased."

Pallas nods and looks to the four Hesperides. "Well, it was a pleasure to meet all of you, and I do hope that I can come back and visit. But I'm afraid our time is up and we must depart."

Erytheia nods. "Of course. Until our next meeting."

Athena tightens her hand's hold on Pallas as wind swirls around them and invisible feathers brush against Pallas' arms. She blinks, and when her eyes open again, they are standing in Athena's home on Olympus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think of the Hesperides' reactions? What will Zeus' be? Will there be any trouble? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out