Flashbacks Abound

Pallas' breathing is ragged, but she does manage to get something into her lungs, even if it isn't enough. Athena sinks down to the ground in front of her, pulling Pallas into her arms.

"Flashbacks again?"

Not able to speak, Pallas just nods, blinking back tears. Athena's arms tighten around Pallas and she sighs.

"You need proper healing, Pallas. I don't think it'll work if we try to let you recover on your own. You need help."

Pallas shakes her head, wiping at her tears as she sucks in another gasping breath. "Y-you help m-m-me, The-the-Thene."

Athena strokes Pallas' hair with one hand, teasing her fingers between the curls. "You need professional help, Pallas. Not just me, though I'm quite glad that I am able to help you."

"Th-then w-who?"

"My brother. Apollo is the god of healing, so he should be able to help you."

"The p-pretty boy?"

Athena snorts. "Yes, the pretty boy. Do you want to lie down?"

Pallas quickly shakes her head, taking a few breaths before speaking. "I d-don't want to d-dream."

"That's alright, you don't have to sleep if you don't wish to. Would you like to sit in the olive grove instead?"

"I-In the tube?"

"We can do that. Are you ready?"

Pallas nods and Athena tightens her hold. Feathers swirl around them, clearing away once they are standing in the grove. The tube is only a few steps away, but Pallas can't seem to force her body to move. Athena must sense this, for she picks Pallas up and lifts her into the tube, helping her move to the enclosed end of it.

Athena settles beside her, wrapping an arm around Pallas as she shifts to tuck herself against Athena's side. Her heart's thudding is stilling now that she's away from the trigger of her memories and somewhere safe, and it brings a wave of exhaustion with it. Pallas tries to fight it, she doesn't wnat to sleep.

She can't, she'll have nightmares if she does, pendant from Morpheus or no. But her eyes are drifting shut and a yawn is escaping her mouth. Athena's hand on her arm isn't helping either, the long strokes of her thumb against her skin are soothing, and the repetitiveness of them is pushing her towards sleep.

~~~

The sound of hushed voices outside the tube wakes her, and Pallas pushes herself upright. Athena is absent from the tube, but the wood where she was sitting is still warm, so she can't have been gone for longer than a few minutes. Pallas crawls towards the opening of the tube and pokes her head out. Athena is standing behind the trunk of the tree that makes up the tube, conversing softly with Apollo. She must have heard Pallas coming, for she turns as Pallas emerges from the tube.

"Were we too loud? I didn't want to wake you."

Pallas shakes her head. "No, you're fine. What's going on-"

Her words trial off as Apollo turns slightly to face her, the wind picking up strands of his hair and sending them flashing in the sunlight. A cry chokes in her throat as the sight of his golden hair causes a golden cloak to surface in her mind, accompanied by a cold sweat that trickles down her back. Athena's eyes widen in alarm at the way Pallas' face pales, and she rushes forward to grab her shoulders.

"Sit down."

Athena pushes down on Pallas' shoulders, and she acquiesces, folding her legs beneath her to lean against the back of the tube. Despite listening to Athena's orders, she still can't help but protest them.

"I'm fine, I'm fine."

Athena narrows her eyes, the stormy gray swirling like thunderclouds. Pallas gulps at the emotions there as Athena says, "No, you're not. I know that look, Pallas. You had another flashback, didn't you?" After a moment of hesitation, Pallas nods. "I knew it. What triggered it?"

Pallas grimaces. "The gold of his hair. It's silly, isn't it. It doesn't have any connection to what happened, yet it reminded me of it."

Frowning slightly, Apollo speaks up. "It's not silly at all." At her incredulous look, he smiles slightly. "I'll explain it." Then he hesitates, looking at Athena. "If you wish for me to help her heal, some privacy would be beneficial." Athena opens her mouth to counter, but Pallas pipes up.

"It's fine, really."

Athena sighs. "Very well. If you need me, touch the owl charm on the bracelet. Apollo, you are only allowed in this grove because of Pallas' presence and her need for your healing. If she leaves it, so do you."

He dips his head. "Understood, sister."

Athena nods and disappears, feathers gently brushing Pallas' cheek.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think Athena made the right call, asking for Apollo's help? Do you think he'll be able to? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out