A Camp of Silver

Pallas stands at the edge of the woods, Athena at her side. She can't see the moon, but by the gray light in the sky, she doesn't need to. It's either touching the horizon, or it's almost at that point. She glances over at Athena.

"Is this really necessary?"

Athena raises an eyebrow at her. "Nervous? You need this, Pallas. You need to talk to others who have had experiences similar to yours. Others who have healed from trauma."

Pallas grimaces. "For how long must I do this, again?"

"Until both Artemis and Apollo are satisfied with where you are in your recovery. You need this, Pallas. You really do."

"And you'll visit?"

Athena nods. "Every few days or so, and whenever you need me, touch the owl charm. Do you remember the schedule?"

Pallas sighs, reciting what Athena has been drilling into her. "Spend my days with the hunters, learning of their own experiences. Just after sundown, I'll have a session with Apollo. Then back to the hunters. Is that everything?"

Athena narrows her eyes. "Yes, that is everything. Relax, Pallas. Everything will be fine. My sister is perfectly happy to help you. So relax."

"Okay, okay. You relax too, I can see the stress lining your face."

Athena scoffs, bewildered. "You can see what?"

Pallas laughs. "Oh, don't worry. You're still gorgeous, and I love you."

Athena's expression softens. "I love you too. Are you ready to meet the hunt?"

Pallas snorts. "It's not like I'm going to get any more ready just standing here."

Athena laughs. "No, I suppose not. Shall we?"

"We shall."

They walk into the forest together, side by side. Athena is far more at ease than Pallas finds herself to be, though she does try to relax. The forest is just a bit too vibrant for her comfort, something feels off about it. It shouldn't have bothered her, all forests were like this before she died, but its so rare to find them this active now. She knows what is causing it, of course. The presence of the hunters. But even so, it makes her cautious.

She catches a glimpse of something silver through the trees and sucks in a breath, squinting to get a better view of it. It looks familiar, like that tent Annabeth let her borrow. She blinks. Didn't Annabeth say that her tent was based off of the hunter's tents? This must be their camp. Pallas steps into the small clearing, squinting at the sunlight that streams right into her face.

She tilts her head upward with her eyes closed, and mutters, "Really, Apollo?"

The brightness recedes until she is able to open her eyes again. When she does, she instinctively takes a step back at the sight of all the hunters. When she first stepped into the clearing, she saw perhaps five of them at most, the rest were either in their tents or elsewhere. But in the split second since then, at least twenty have emerged and they are all staring at her.

"Hello."

One of the hunters steps forward, a girl with spiky black hair and bright blue eyes. A silver circlet rests across her brow. She stops a few steps between her fellow hunters and Pallas.

"What brings you here?"

Athena speaks up from Pallas' side. "Is my sister here?"

The girl blinks. "Lady Athena. I wasn't-"

Athena laughs. "You need not worry, you have done nothing wrong. My sister may have not shared my business here with you, so I thought it would be best to go right to her."

The hunter dips her head. "I understand, Lady Athena. Lady Artemis is in her tent. Do you need me to show you the way?"

Athena shakes her head. "No, I'm quite sure I'll manage on my own. Thank you for your assistance."

The girl looks slightly shocked, but she says nothing as Pallas and Athena pass by her. Pallas lets her partner lead, as she has no idea which tent they are looking for. Athena seems to know, though, as she moves right for the middle of the camp. She stops before a pair of tents at the camp's heart and turns towards the left one. Athena ducks inside, Pallas following a step behind her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who recognizes the hunter? What do you think will happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out