Amassing Allies

Athena lingers in the doorway, raising her hand to knock against the stone of the archway. Persephone looks up and smiles, waving.

"Another visit so soon? You spoil me, sister."

Athena chuckles. "Perhaps I'll bring a visitor next time, shall I? But I'm afraid I'm here on business again."

Persephone's face falls slightly, but she keeps smiling. "Ah. Shall I leave, then?"

"No, this matter pertains to you as well." Hades straightens in his seat at that, his attention caught.

"What is it, Athena?"

Athena takes a deep breath. "Uncle, do you remember when I came here, asking about the process of rebirth, and wishing to speak with Lethe?"

"I do, it was for research, wasn't it?"

Athena winces. "It was, in a way. But I was not entirely truthful either. Let me tell you now that I kept my reasons from you not because I find you to be untrustworthy, but rather due to a desire of privacy."

Hades nods, but his face shows a glimmer of confusion still. "So why tell me now?"

"Because for what I'm about to ask of you, Uncle, you deserve the whole story. My 'research', when I came last time, was to understand the circumstances behind the rebirth of someone I had long thought lost. She was reborn, and regained all her memories of her past life." Hades jolts, but Athena holds up a hand. "When I spoke to Lethe, she told me that this individual was allowed to retain their memories, as by the words of the fates themselves, she was never meant to die."

Persephone frowns. "Who was reborn, Athena?"

Athena hesitates for a moment, gaze flickering between Persephone and Hades. "Pallas, the nymph daughter of Triton. She was reborn as Nadia, daughter of Poseidon."

Persephone gasps in what could be shocked delight but Athena is distracted by Hades' scowl. "Another broken oath on my brother's part? Really?"

"No. She was born a few years before the oath was made, and as you hid your children with the Lotus Eaters to protect them, so too did Poseidon hide his daughter in stasis."

"What, he didn't give her up to Camp Half-Blood? I would have thought he would send her there."

"Perhaps that would have happened, but not when he was told to send his daughter to the camp at the age of two."

Hades chokes. "Zeus wanted her sent away at two? That's outrageous! Our children aren't gods, to be able to walk on their own feet and think just after birth."

Athena smiles. "I'm glad you agree on that point, Uncle. Now, back to the crux of the matter. As you both are likely aware, my father's interference resulted in Pallas' death in her first life. Now in her second, she has regained her immortality with the assistance of Queen Hera, but my father has declared that only he should be allowed to bestow immortality without a care for the garden that rightfully belongs to my stepmother.

"At this time, Pallas is still in a stage where she is healing from the trauma of her death. Despite knowing this, my father has decided that she is a threat to his rule, because she 'turns me against him' and so he intends to kill her once more. He is well aware of the fates' stance on her life, yet he wishes to kill her regardless. He has already attempted this, striking her with his master bolt. So I ask of you both, will you help us stop him from killing an innocent, from defying the fates, and from abusing his authority?"

Staring at Athena, Hades opens his mouth to respond. Persephone beats him to it, her eyes wide. "Absolutely! As a nymph, she was a nature spirit. If she was never meant to die, then I, as the Goddess of Spring, a goddess of nature, will oppose his actions."

Hades stares at his wife for a long moment before he turns his gaze back to Athena. "What is your plan, Athena?"

"My father has done too much, for too long. So in the simplest terms, I wish to overthrow him."

"And who is currently standing with you? I will not share this information, regardless of what I decide."

Athena gives him a long look before nodding. "The twins, Poseidon, Amphitrite, and Triton are standing with me. Of those I have not yet asked, I believe a fair few will assist, but I will not assume until I ask them myself."

"Very well. As Persephone has already decided to join you, and as I also believe my brother has crossed into being a tyrant, I will help you. I also believe that out of loyalty to her daughter, and due to a similar belief on my brother's actions against a nature spirit, Demeter will join as well. I can speak to her myself on the matter, so don't trouble yourself."

Athena sags slightly in relief. "Thank you, Uncle."

"Who will you ask next?"

"Do you have a suggestion?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you think these three would help Athena? Who do you think she'll speak with next? What will happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out