An Opportunity Arises

Pallas can feel the tension rise as Athena narrows her gaze at Hera, the two goddesses already not the most fond of each other. "You still haven't answered my question, Stepmother. Why would you help us?"

Hera gives Athena a haughty laugh, one that doesn't endear her in Pallas' eyes. "I'm not helping you, Athena. But I may help the girl my husband wronged." There is something else to her expression that prompts a frown from Pallas.

"That is not the full truth, is it?"

Hera frowns at Pallas but dips her head slightly. "Clever of you to realize, I'll give you that. I wasn't sure if I would help, given Artemis' request, but the Fates themselves asked for me to assist you. However, it won't be easy, girl. You're still a demigod and we can't just give you immortality."

Athena bristles, likely about to point out that Pallas had it before, but Pallas places a hand on her arm in reassurance. "I understand, Queen Hera."

Hera scrutinizes her for a moment before murmuring softly. "You do, don't you." Pallas stays silent, determining that it isn't a question she is meant to answer. Hera nods. "If you want to gain your immortality back, then you shall go on a quest, for me. Pick an apple from the Garden of the Hesperides."

Athena narrows her eyes at Hera. "There is a catch, isn't there. You wouldn't make it that easy."

Hera smiles, her eyes gleaming. "Not at all. Your task is to go the the Garden of the Hesperides, as I said before, but you are to do it alone. No guidance. You shall have no prophecy, no companions to aid you, and no memories."

Pallas' eyes widen in shock. "I beg your pardon?"

"You heard me correctly. No memories, and no one may tell you your task. You shall have fifteen days in which to start on your journey to the garden without prompting, and to reach it. No more than that."

Beside Pallas, Athena has gone pale. "You can't make her-"

"I can. This is her only option. Prove she is worthy of her immortality by doing this, guided by her heart alone. Prove she is worthy of being your partner. If she fails, she stays a demigod. You needn't fear, Athena. She shouldn't die, if she's careful enough."

Pallas frowns. "Fail or succeed, what will happen to my memory at the end of this?"

Hera smiles, perhaps a little cruelly. "When you win, or when your time runs out, you will regain your memories at that very moment. Do you accept my terms?"

Pallas glances over at Athena for a heartbeat. Her expression is hesitant and even a little fearful, but her eyes are shining in hope. Pallas reaches for Athena's hand and squeezes it softly.

"Will I be able to prepare?"

Hera tilts her head in thought for several long seconds. "You have two days for whatever preparations you feel are necessary. I shall return then to take you to your family at Camp Jupiter." She makes to turn away, but pauses. "I may have failed to mention, but you are permitted one weapon of your choice. One only. Choose wisely, girl. You should not die on this journey, but you will still face monsters."

Her form ripples and she disappears, leaving Pallas to frown at her words. She had kept saying 'should not die', but that was no promise, was it? Another stray thought floats to the forefront of her mind and Pallas turns to Athena.

"What's Camp Jupiter?"

"It's where Percy and Annabeth go to college. Are you sure about this, Pallas? I'm not sure my stepmother truly wishes to help you."

Pallas sighs, toying with the bracelet on her wrist. "Am I sure? No, not really. But our options are limited, Theme, and she's offering one. Do you think I should risk not taking it?"

Athena grimaces. "No, I think you should take it. But can you blame me for being worried?"

"If this is about me needing to regain my muscle mass so I can fight properly, there's one way to go about that."

Athena raises an eyebrow at Pallas. "You want to train for two days straight?"

Pallas bites her lip, pretending to think. "Well, along with letting Percy know what's going to happen, just in case I get dropped on top of him, but yes. That sounds about right."

Athena sighs and pulls her hair back with a tie she summons from somewhere, offering one to Pallas as well. "Very well. Shall we start with hand to hand, and then work through the weapons?"

Pallas nods with a grin blooming across her face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi! Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was out all day. As an apology/reparations, here are some pictures I took of a lava tube and volcano.

What do you think of Hera's deal for Pallas? Is it wise to take it? What do you think will happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out