The Storm Begins

"Athena!"

Pallas jolts upright as the bellow reverbrates through the olive grove, her head almost breaking through the leafy ceiling. The only reason it doesn't is the hand pushing down on her shoulder. Pallas twists to look at Athena, whose wide eyes are quickly transitioning from shock to anger. Athena touches a finger to her lips and crawls over Pallas to exit the tube. The grove is silent except for the sound of water running through the brook for a heartbeat before Athena explodes.

"What are you doing here?! Get out."

"I will not, daughter. We need to talk about Pallas."

Pallas pokes her head up to peer through the domed top of the tube's leaves, trying to find where Athena and Zeus are speaking through the haze of her disoriented and sleepy mind. The elongated shadows that have crept into the grove over the hours she has slept don't help either, and the darkness of the approaching sunset makes matters worse. But she manages to peer through just a moment before Athena speaks again, her voice tight with restrained rage.

"You want to talk about her? I'm not even going to think about a discussion on Pallas unless you get out of my grove. You are well aware, Father, that you are not allowed in here. So. Get. Out. Now. "

"We will be having this discussion, Athena. We will be having it now."

Athena shakes her head. "No, we won't. I don't care what you want, Father. You will get out of my grove, my private space. If you want to speak with me, you can do it in my rooms. But not here. You will not taint this place."

Zeus stares at Athena, his expression thunderous, but she stares right back. From their posture, Pallas knows that Athena will win this stand-off. She is confident, her posture rigid and strong. Zeus on the other hand, is shifting slightly, wavering on his feet. He knows he is in the wrong, he's just too proud to admit it. He steps back about a minute later, the blue of his eyes dark in anger and bruised pride.

Zeus bites out, "You have five minutes."

Static fills the grove and thunder rumbles as he disappears. Athena sags and turns back toward the tube tree, running a hand down her face. Pallas grimaces and crawls out of the tube. She steps over to Athena and wraps her arms around her, tucking her chin against Athena's shoulder.

"Are you alright?" She pauses. "That's a silly question, you aren't."

"It's still nice for you to ask though." Athena sighs. "It's just, he knows that no one is allowed here without me bringing them. I've had that rule in place since the very first grove. Yet he violated that rule, he violated the one place I have entirely to myself."

"I'm sorry, Thene."

"It's not your fault."

Pallas nibbles on her lip, frowning. "But it is. He came here because he wanted to talk about me."

Athena pulls back to put her hands on Pallas' shoulders. "But he chose to intrude. You didn't make him do it."

"Logically I know that, but-"

Athena claps a hand over Pallas' mouth. "No buts. It is not your fault, Pallas. Let it go."

Pallas huffs, but dips her chin in a nod. When Athena steps back, Pallas opens her mouth again. "When you go . . . do you want me to stay here?"

Athena quickly shakes her head. "Not unless you wish to. If my father wishes to speak about you, then you have a right to know what is being said. So if you would like to be in the room with us while we converse, you can."

"I would, and not just because I want to know what he is saying. I wish to be there for you, to comfort. Maybe it won't do much, but I can at least try to help."

A small smile graces Athena's face and her eyes sparkle with tears. "That's very sweet of you, Pallas. You being there would be very comforting. I'm afraid I haven't forgiven him, nor do I trust him, and I don't think that will change anytime soon."

Pallas reaches out to squeeze Athena's hand, rubbing her thumb across the back of it. Athena squeezes back as feathers wrap around them, transporting them inside from the grove.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think Zeus will say? Should Pallas have remained in the grove? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out