Lightning Strikes in Rage

Zeus is in the room when they appear, and Pallas quickly steps back, away from him. Athena shifts as she does, moving into the space between the two of them to block Pallas. While moving, Pallas' hand moves to touch the bracelet at her wrist, prepared to summon it to defend herself.

Zeus lifts an eyebrow as he looks at them and drawls, "Was that really necessary?"

Athena and Pallas speak in unison. "Yes!"

"Why?"

Athena raises an eyebrow. "Why? You're seriously going to ask that? Past experiences. Now are we going to have that conversation you so desperately wanted, or are we going to continue stalling?"

Zeus' expression darkens. "Athena . . ."

Despite Pallas' hand on Athena's shoulder, trying to calm her, Athena just forges forward. She trembles beneath Pallas' touch, but her voice shows no sign of it. "What? You think I'm overreacting? Last time we spoke on this subject, you threatened her. Why would I want Pallas to have to be anywhere near you after that and after you killed her."

"Reign yourself in, daughter. I would prefer not to punish you as well."

Athena takes a step backwards in shock, her hand reaching back towards Pallas. Pallas takes it, trying to help Athena even while her own fear chills her bloodstream. As Athena moves backwards, Pallas steps forward to stand at her partner's side. She addresses Zeus, keeping her emotions in check with a white-knuckled grip on Athena's hand.

"Why are you bringing up punishment?"

He gives them a dark laugh. "You know why, nymphling."

Pallas blinks for a moment. Is she a nymph again? Or is he just calling her that because that's what she used to be? She can't quite tell. She has water-based powers now, but that's because she was born a daughter of Poseidon in this life, not necessarily because she may be a nymph once more.

She hasn't noticed any new powers either, although she didn't really check. But she had thought she had just become immortal again, she didn't think anything had changed beyond her mortality. She gives a minute shake of her head to pull herself out of her thoughts and back into the room.

"No, Lord Zeus. I am not aware of what you speak of."

"Don't play coy with me. I can see the evidence in your very appearance."

"Evidence of what, may I ask? I have done nothing wrong."

Zeus snorts. "The last time I laid my eyes on you, you were mortal. Now you grow with immortality. So, tell me why you believe you have done nothing wrong."

Pallas' eyes narrow. What does he have against her? Why does he hate her so much? "Because I haven't. I earned my immortality back, Lord Zeus. Whatever you think I have done, I assure you that you are incorrect."

Zeus' eyes darken in anger. "I am never wrong, child. I am the one who decides if you regain immortality after it is taken away. That is my prerogative as the King of Olympus."

Pallas gapes at him, reaching desperately for Athena. She had dropped her hand at some point, but it doesn't take long for Athena to take Pallas' hand again, squeezing gently. Pallas inhales, closing her eyes for a heartbeat longer than a blink. When she opens them again, Zeus' dark look hasn't changed, and she can feel her body shaking again.

Memories are flashing across her eyes, a flash of gold, a spear jutting out from her body, Athena's tear-filled eyes. She inhales again and swallows as Athena steps closer, wrapping an arm around her waist. Pallas opens her mouth to speak, but finds that she can't. Athena takes over for her, still keeping her arm around Pallas.

"You think her immortality was merely taken away, Father? If that was the case, then yes, you would decide when she would be permitted to regain her immortality again. But that isn't what happened. She died, and was reborn. She shouldn't have had to earn her immortality back, not when the fates themselves said she was never meant to die, but that's what she did. You don't get to try to take it away from her. Not now, not ever. You have no grounds here."

Zeus snorts. "And how did she earn her immortality back?" His voice is contemptful, as if he can't believe she would earn it back.

"A quest for Hera, Father. Without any memories, nor aid from myself or the demigods. She had a time limit, and no way to know what she had to do. But she succeeded, and so she won an apple of immortality from Hera. That's how she regained her immortality. If you have run out of ways to hurt us both, then leave, Father. I won't tolerate it anymore. Nor do I think the rest of her family would."

Zeus glares at them both, but does nothing more. "Very well. I don't like this, but I will not argue further. Athena, keep her in line."

On that parting note, he disappears with a faint feel of static in the air. Once he is gone, Pallas slumps to the ground, wrapping her arms around herself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh no, poor Pallas. Will she be okay? Do you think Zeus is being irrational? What do you think will happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out