Meeting the Hunt

Artemis looks up as they enter the tent, her hair loose instead of in the braid it was in when Pallas first met her. She wants to call it yellow-red, but she remembers that Athena called it auburn, when Pallas had asked about it before. She smiles at them.

"Athena. You're early, sister."

"I suppose we are, yes. Were you busy?"

Artemis folds the map that she had been examining. "Nothing that I need to urgently look at, no." Her gaze flickers to Pallas. "Do you feel better?"

Pallas frowns, glancing between Athena and Artemis. "Have you been talking about me?"

Artemis laughs. "Oh, no. Not beyond arranging your stay here. But I saw you the other night, when my twin was visiting. I tried not to intrude on your privacy, but when you lost control I must admit that I was concerned."

Her gaze flickers to Athena for a moment and says something that Pallas doesn't understand, though she gets a sense of a warning, the impression only cemented by the way her smile flickers into a frown. Athena dips her head in a nod, mirroring her sister. Pallas frowns at the interaction between the two sisters, feeling like she is missing something, but says nothing on the topic when Artemis' attention returns to her.

"Thank you, for your concern. I do feel more like myself at the moment."

Artemis smiles. "That's good." She looks to Athena. "I'll take care of her from here. And be careful."

"I will, sister." Athena swoops down to kiss Pallas' cheek. "I love you, and I'll see you soon."

"Love you too. But Thene, what's going on? What aren't you telling me?"

Athena smiles. "It's nothing, really."

Feathers swirl around them, fading after a few heartbeats to leave the space where Athena had been standing empty. Pallas turns back to Artemis, her eyes narrowed slightly.

"What is she hiding from me?"

Artemis' smile fades into something apologetic. "I can't tell you, Pallas. I'm sorry. But she should have it under control. Let her take care of it. If you fret, it's only going to make it harder for her." Her smile returns in a fraction of a second. "Now come, let me introduce you to my hunters."

Artemis stands from her seat and holds open the tent flap for Pallas, allowing her to duck through. The hunters murmur as the two of them emerge and the girl with the circlet pushes through her fellows.

"My Lady? May I ask what is happening? Why was Lady Athena here?"

Artemis glances around at the hunters before looking to the girl again. "I shall explain to all of you at once, but not yet. Let us speak in my tent, Lieutenant."

The girl in the circlet dips her head and follows Artemis back inside the tent, leaving Pallas alone with the rest of the hunters. One of the girls watches her with a sharp look in her eye, one that reminds Pallas of Athena. One of her hands drops to her side, resting on the head of a silver dog. It watches her, red eyes narrowed. Pallas narrows her eyes right back before raising her gaze to the girl. She smiles, pulling her long braid over her shoulder and stepping forward.

"Are you going to be joining us?"

"If you're asking if I'm going to be joining the hunters, the answer would be no. But I will be staying with you for a while."

The girl quirks an eyebrow. "Why?"

"Healing, of a sort."

"Healing? You're staying with us for healing?"

There is a sharp voice from beside Pallas. "Reyna."

The girl - Reyna - stiffens. "Apologies, my Lady."

Artemis dips her head. "Hunters, Pallas is here as my guest. You will treat her with the same courtesy as you would grant one of your own. While she stays with us, she will be seeking healing, regarding trauma from her past. I would appreciate it greatly if any of you with your own trauma would speak with her, tell her your stories and your healing process."

A hunter standing beside Reyna pipes up. "How long will she be staying with us for, and why is she staying if she isn't a hunter?"

"She will be staying until I am satisfied with her recovery, and she is staying without being a hunter because I allow it, Adonia. There have been exceptions such as this before, as I'm sure you're aware. If you have any further questions, you may speak with me in private. Now how about you all make Pallas welcome?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think of this? Are you excited to see Reyna? What do you think Athena's going to do about whatever she isn't telling Pallas? What is it that she think she isn't saying? What will happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out