A Glowing Garden

A pocket of lush green lies sprawling beneath the hill Pallas stands on, beckoning in its vibrancy. Its edges lie in stark contrast to the rest of the lands, spring green next to the dusty, muted green and gold of the grounds just outside. The sun is still relatively low in the sky though it is rising, leaving the land below still in darkness, but even that doesn't hide the brightness.

Pallas can feel her body buzzing as she stares at it, eagerness and anticipation bubbling up in her chest. The owl sitting on her shoulder reaches up to nibble at her ear before it speaks, quiet and wary. Its feathers are puffed up in its fear, an attempt at making it look less like a prey item.

"This is where the one who eats our wing-friends lives."

"The dragon?"

"Yes. We never cross into the air above the green space unless we have to. The dragon never crosses that boundary."

Pallas inhales. "You don't have to come with me."

"Yes I do. To honor the Lady by protecting her mate is a good thing."

Pallas shakes her head. "Even so, if it isn't safe for you then you shouldn't come. I'll be fine."

The owl makes a chittering laugh. "Like you were fine when the hellhounds attacked? Or the empousai? What about the Stymphalian Birds? You lived, but you were wounded and even almost killed. This happened over the course of seven moons, which isn't much time at all."

Pallas immediately protests. "I wasn't hurt that much!"

Still, she can't deny that she had consumed over half of the bag of ambrosia, and even more so of the nectar. She still managed to get out of those situations relatively easily though, it just took a while.

She says again, "You don't need to come. I would prefer if you remained where you're safe." The owl opens its beak to retort, but she cuts it off. "At least don't come any further than the boundary line."

"I'm going to cross if the dragon is going to eat you."

"I can't persuade you otherwise?"

The owl ruffles its feathers. "You cannot."

Pallas sighs and twists her bracelet around her wrist. "Very well."

Knowing what is down in the valley below, she wants nothing more than to have her spear ready as she approaches. But she doesn't think that would be wise. If there is a chance she can do what she needs without resorting to violence, would that not be the safer path? She wouldn't be risking harm to herself.

Besides, there is a dragon in there. What exactly can she do with a spear, magical shield contained within it or no? Almost nothing. If there was another weapon she could use, it might serve more useful, but she also has the feeling that a spear is the weapon she is most comfortable with. After all, why else would she have the spear charm over any other weapon?

She fingers it once more, trying to fight off the urge to activate the charm right there and take it down into the valley. She even goes to squeeze it before she forces herself to let go and begin the walk down the hill. The high grasses brush against her leg, and hte hints of their touch that she feels on her hands make her glad that she is wearing pants, as her leg would be itching like mad if she wasn't.

It takes her perhaps twenty minutes to make it down the hill, which is far less time than it should have been, but she doesn't question it. If the gods are helping her, then she is grateful. If they're not, then she must be in better shape than she though. Either way, it's a good thing. As she approaches the patch of vibrant green, she realises that the boundary isn't just marked by the contrast between the natural environment and that of the dragon's home.

There is also a wall encircling the place, composed of curling vines and thorns that are, despite their imposing nature, presenting an image of tranquility. It is thick enough that she won't be able to get through, not unless she learns to fly or finds the proper entrance. Pallas turns to the owl on her shoulder.

"Would you mind scouting for me? I need to find the way in."

"Anything to help, Lady."

The owl spreads its wings and tips off of her shoulder, gliding down towards the grass before it lifts up to the sky. It wheels away from her, leaving Pallas to examine the wall of vines. She can see splotches of vibrant color through the spaces between the plants, so bright that she almost can't believe they aren't glowing.

A scent drifts through the spaces along with the magical sight, beckoning to her. If only she could find the way in, now. When the owl finally returns, although it must have only been a minute at most, Pallas sags. In relief for its safety or for her desperation to enter the garden, she doesn't know, but she is relieved all the same. The owl circles her, calling behind it as it turns away once more to fly back the way it came.

"I found the entrance. Follow me."

She does so at once, letting the owl lead her along the wall. It curves randomly, changing direction enough that she knows the space enclosed is an organic shape, not a simple one like those seen in architecture. But then, she saw that from the hilltop. A gap in the wall emerges up ahead and Pallas rushes forward, stopping at the edge of it.

It must be the entrance, flat stones of dark marble lead from it into the garden. The stones weave between patches of vivid flowers, toward a massive tree in the center of the garden. It is so far away from her, but so large that it seems the size of a normal apple tree from this distance. She touches the wall, fingering the slippery texture of one of the vines before she steps inside, onto one of the dark stones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think she'll find inside the garden? Will she succeed at her task? Will she run into any trouble? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out