Prayers to the Moon

Pallas sags into Athena's side, closing her eyes against the flood of tears that wish to pour out of her. Today was a trial, one she doesn't wish to repeat. Two flashbacks, each one incapacitating her, and happening so close to each other? She won't be risking sleep tonight either. When Athena wraps her arms around Pallas in a comforting embrace and lowers them both to the floor, Pallas remembers the words Athena whispered.

She'd likely thought that Pallas wouldn't hear them, but she did. Athena had sounded so scared, terrified to lose Pallas when she just got her back, even if the loss would be to mortal old age. She doesn't want to be hurting Athena, but what can she do? It's not like there is an easy way to make herself immortal again.

She grips Athena tighter, but when the goddess moves to pull away she lets go at once. Athena gives her a strange look but doesn't comment on it. She goes over to a window instead and says something, too low for Pallas to make out. An owl flutters onto the windowsill before her a moment later. They converse for about a minute before the owl takes flight again and Athena returns to Pallas' side. Just as she moves to sit down, a soft light fills the room for a moment, silvery and soothing. When it fades, a young girl is standing in the center of the room, her dark yellow-red hair in a braid that drapes over her shoulder. She frowns at Athena.

"You asked to speak with me, sister?"

Athena nods. "I did, thank you for coming. Artemis, this is Pallas, daughter of Poseidon by blood and Triton by soul. Pallas, this is my sister Artemis. She is Apollo's twin."

Artemis' gaze flickers. "Pallas? The one you loved?" Athena nods and Artemis steps forward, kneeling on the floor to look Pallas in the eye when Pallas can't make herself stand to greet the goddess properly. "It's lovely to meet you, Pallas. I wish we could have met sooner."

Pallas shrugs. "Likewise, Lady Artemis."

"You need not call me Lady, we are sisters here." Artemis' gaze strays to Athena, her silver eyes curious. "There has been tension here, hasn't there?"

Athena sighs, grimacing slightly and Pallas squeezes her hand. "Father was just here, and he doesn't appreciate a demigod being present on Olympus regardless of their identity."

Shock ripples across Artemis' face. "He knows, yet he still wishes to force her to leave?" Athena nods and Artemis's expression hardens. "That's very cruel of him. I'm sorry, Athena."

"Thank you, Artemis."

"Of course. What did you wish to speak with me about?"

"She won't be allowed to stay here if she remains mortal, but if she was part of the hunt . . ."

Artemis sighs. "But would she want that, regardless of if it is possible?" She addresses Pallas directly at the end of that, but Pallas doesn't know the answer. "If she was part of my hunt, she would lose the life she seems to have already remade herself. Her time with you, Athena, and her family? She wouldn't get that. Perhaps exceptions could be made, but this would be a last resort as I don't want to take her from her life just to give her immortality. There are better, more suitable options than my hunt."

"Like what?"

Artemis gives Athena a tentative smile. "I have an idea, but I won't say it just yet. I don't want to give you two false hope. Give me time, and I will send word if I find something."

"Thank you."

Artemis gives her sister a smile and then turns her attention to Pallas. "Healing will come, in time. It has already begun. So be patient, train your body if you must, and don't push yourself too hard. Please, for my sister's sake if not your own. Don't worry her."

Pallas blinks at her. "I wouldn't-"

"I can see it in your eyes, Pallas. You aren't going to sleep tonight, yet you fully plan to train until you pass out. That won't be good for your body. If you're going to push hard, have someone there to watch you. You aren't as strong as you were."

"I- I can try."

"That's all I ask. And . . . to help-"

Artemis stretches her hand towards Pallas and flexes her fingers, motioning for Pallas to take her hand. The moment she does so, a rush of strength passes through her and she can see her hand glow faintly for a few seconds. When it fades, Artemis pulls her hand back.

"That should speed up the process of getting you back to your full strength. What would once have taken weeks, even months, of training should only take a few days. It's a more limited version of the blessings I grant to my hunters."

Pallas inhales shakily before smiling in gratitude. "Thank you, Artemis."

"It was my pleasure. I hope to see you again soon."

With a nod to Athena, Artemis is enveloped in a faint beam of light and disappears.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think of this chapter? Do you think Pallas will get her immortality back? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out