Taking Flight

Pallas glances out the apartment window at the sky, darkening with the approaching nightfall. The owls said they'd come at nighttime, but when exactly do they consider the night beginning? Now? When the sun touches the horizon? When it dips beneath? What if it isn't until the last sliver of residual light is gone? Someone touches her shoulder and she turns to look at Annabeth, the blonde's expression creased with a bit of worry.

"Are you alright?"

"Oh. Yes, I'm just wondering when I'll be . . . summoned." She grimaces slightly at that and Annabeth raises her eyebrow. Pallas flushes slightly. "It's just a bit strange to think about being summoned by birds, ok?"

"You don't have to defend your thoughts, Pallas. But why don't you know when the owls are coming for you?"

Pallas shrugs. "When do they consider it nighttime?"

"Not much longer. Actually-"

Annabeth trails off, her gaze fixed on the window. Pallas turns to look, her eyes widening at the sight of an owl perched on the other side of the window. It tilts its head at her and pecks at the glass. Pallas reaches for the bottom of the window and pushes it up enough for air to flow through.

"Hello."

"It's time, it's time!" The owl hops on the windowsill before it stills, looking past Pallas at Annabeth. "Who's that? She looks like the Lady."

"That's Annabeth, daughter of Athena."

"Let me in, let me in! I want to greet her!"

Palls twists around to frown at Annabeth. "The owl wants to say hi to you."

"Please don't tell me if you're asking if it can come inside."

Pallas frowns. "Kind of?"

"No birds in the apartment. But we can go outside."

Pallas nods and swipes the backpack of supplies Percy and Annabeth had helped her pack from the couch. It's fairly full, she doesn't know how they managed to fit everything in the bag in the first place, but there still seemed to be quite a bit of space remaining in the bag. She slings it over her shoulder and turns back to Annabeth. Behind her, Percy has risen from the table, where he had been working on his schoolwork.

"Are you going now?"

Pallas shrugs hesitantly. "It seems so. My owl guide seems to be a good indication of that."

Percy nods. "Good luck, then. I'm sure you'll do great."

"Thank you."

He gives her a small hug as Annabeth goes to open the door. Pulling the bag tighter on her shoulder, Pallas follows Annabeth out the door. The owl is waiting for them outside the building, quickly swooping down to land on Annabeth's shoulder. It nibbles at her hair and she smiles down at it.

"Hello."

The owl hoots back. "Hello! Hello!"

Pallas translates and Annabeth laughs. "It's nice to meet you."

"I can't wait to tell my wing-friends I met one of the Lady's children!"

Pallas snorts. "I think you have something to do first." The owl grumbles but doesn't retort, giving Pallas the chance to explain the circumstance to Annabeth, who is looking confused. "Owls are gossips. You may end up becoming a celebrity."

Annabeth lets out a bark of stunned laughter. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Yeah . . . I was told that-"

She blinks. When would she have been told that owls were gossips? She shakes her head to pull herself back to the moment. Annabeth smiles at her.

"Are you ready?"

"A bit nervous, but I think so."

Annabeth nods. "If it helps, people tend to do better on things if they're a little nervous. So don't worry too much."

"That does help, actually."

"Good. i wish you luck, and try not to do a Percy?" She laughs at Pallas' expression. "He always gets into trouble and I really don't understand how he manages it. Please don't get into trouble."

"I'll . . . try?"

"That's all I can ask. I'll see you when you get back?"

Pallas frowns. "You don't sound certain. Why?"

Annabeth shakes her head. "It's nothing. Now, someone looks to be getting a bit anxious, so you might need to be on your way now."

Indeed, the owl on Annabeth's shoulder keeps twitching, lifting its wings slightly as if it wants to take flight at that moment. She nods and looks to the owl.

"Are you ready to lead?"

"Yes yes!"

As the owl launches into the air, Pallas waves at Annabeth. "Bye."

The owl leads her out of New Rome and towards the hills, barely visible in the looming darkness. All they are is a darker splotch of black, but it is just light enough for her to distinguish them from the sky above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love my owl gossips. Do you? Do you think this will go badly? What do you think will happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out