Goddess of Storm and Sky

"Pallas?"

She doesn't register who speaks. She's too shocked, and her family looks concerned. Any of them could be asking after her wellbeing, and any of the other gods could be asking of her suitability. She can't respond entirely without knowing why they asked her name, so she chooses a safe answer.

"Why me?"

Athena is the one to answer her. "You're immortal, yet without a place. You have no domain so we are able to give one to you."

Apollo adds, "You seem to have an affinity for lightning, if what happened after the first attack against you is any indication. Your body stored that energy and released it this day. The energy from that strike should have been channeled into the ground, your body shouldn't have been able to hold it, yet it stayed with you anyway. Why shouldn't we give you that domain?"

"I was a nymph before, not a goddess!"

Poseidon laughs softly. "If we can elevate a demigod to godhood, as was done with Herakles, or Dionysus, or as we could have done with your brother, then I think we can elevate a former nymph just fine."

"But-" She slumps. Pallas doesn't have an actual answer, she doesn't have any reason not to have this power. She's just scared.

Athena senses Pallas' surrender. "So it is agreed that Pallas will take up Zeus' domain, perhaps with a slightly different title to separate herself from Zeus. Same powers, but as he was the God of the Sky, shall she be named the Goddess of Storms?"

Poseidon frowns. "Storms at sea are technically within my domain, and my daughter Kymopleia controls them."

Triton cuts in. "But Kym only has power over particularly violent storms. Not the weaker ones. Why not let Pallas control them until the wind strength reaches hurricane level?" Poseidon still seems hesitant to give up part of his domain. "Lesser control over storms at sea than your control, but still control. And she keeps the limited water powers she already has."

After a moment, Poseidon nods. "I can agree with that."

Athena grins. "Good. Now while she would be named Goddess of Storms, she would have control over all the same aspects of the sky as Zeus formerly carried. Are there any objections to naming Pallas the new sky god?"

None of the gods make a move and Athena turns to walk down the steps to the hearth. Hestia slides off her seat to allow Athena to reach past her for the master bolt. It had been left there when the throne room rearranged itself. Or at least that's what Pallas thinks happened. She didn't see anyone move it before, so she can't think of any other reason for it to be there.

Athena gingerly lifts the bolt from the stone around the hearth fire and carries it over to Pallas, stopping before her. She makes a quick motion for Pallas to stand. She does, her gaze flickering between Athena's face and the glowing lightning bolt in her hand. Athena holds it out and slowly, Pallas wraps her hands around it.

Branching light flares around Pallas, curling around her body with a faint crackle of electricity. She shivers at the energy thrumming against her skin until it dies down. There is a rumble in the room and a new throne appears beside Athena's, made of silver inlaid with mother of pearl lightning bolts and obsidian storm clouds.

At the top of the seat's back, two tiny owls hold garlands of violets in their beaks, a nod to the violets on Athena's throne and the birds that represent her wisdom. Athena motions to the throne and after a moment of hesitation, Pallas takes her seat. The throne hums with the same power as the master bolt, and she notices two things now that she is seated.

There is a shelf inside the armrest that perfectly fits the masterbolt, and there is a groove against the seat's back that would perfectly fit her spear. She wants to check that, but Athena has her spear right now. After a glance at Pallas to confirm her wellbeing, Athena continues.

"Our council appears even once more, yet it is not in truth. Zeus promised Hades a throne among this council in years past, in payment to Perseus Jackson for his aid in the second Titan War. It is high time that my uncle is granted this throne, so he is no longer forced to settle for the throne of our guests." A new throne appears, but Pallas isn't in a good angle to view it. Besides, Athena isn't done.

"With Hades' place, our council is unbalanced once more. I request that we return Hestia's place on our council, as she is the piece that holds us together."

The gods murmur in agreement and yet another throne appears to make them an even fourteen. It's lovely, made of gold-tipped wood, wreathed in flames made of inlaid topaz and ruby. Hestia walks from her hearth to the new throne and seats herself before turning to her niece.

"Is there something else for you to add, Athena?"

Athena smiles. "One last thing before we adjourn. I reverse Zeus' ruling on our children. We are free to see them as they, and we, wish. The limit on aiding them will remain, though to a lesser extent, so that they are able to prove themselves to the camp and themselves. But if they ask, you are in no way prevented from assisting. In essence, do not aid your children unless you find it to be necessary or they ask for your assistance. Is that agreeable?" The gods nod. "Session ajourned."

Magic plays across the senses as the gods disappear, their passing indicated by scents and sounds and feelings, more vibrant now than they were before. The last to leave is Ares, accompanied by Dionysus who seems to be taking him to the camp. Once they are alone except for Hestia, who gives them a warm smile, Athena pulls on Pallas' arm.

"Come, let's see Annabeth. Let her know what's going on. Then I can take you to camp and introduce you to my other children."

Pallas beams. "I like that."

She slides off the throne and moves to take a step away, before remembering something. She twists back to swipe the master bolt from the shelf. Pallas frowns at it now that it is in her hand. What should she do with it? As she thinks, it makes a crackling sound and disappears, warmth warming her skin. She turns, expecting to find Apollo there, only to catch a glimpse of something on her arm instead.

One of her lichtenberg scars, but they hadn't been on her shoulder and upper arm. Not even the ones from the new strike. They made it to her upper chest, yes, but not her arm. So this- Pallas pokes the scar and thinks of the master bolt. The marking ripples and disappears, leaving her with the bolt in her hand once again. She nods. A clever way to hide it. She dismisses the bolt again and turns to Athena.

"Let's go."

Athena grins and leads Pallas towards the hallway, swooping down to grab Pallas' spear from where it rests on the ground before the hearth. She passes it to Pallas, who quickly returns it to bracelet form. The two of them duck out of the throne room, only to halt in surprise at what emerges from the shadows outside the door.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think of Pallas' new role? Do you like her throne? What about the master bolt? What do you think emerges from the shadows? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out