A Storm in the Reflection

Athena smiles at the image in the glass. She doesn't know how Pallas has managed it, making a friend so quickly. But she has. Even better, an immortal friend. Of course, she supposes that Pallas is friends with the twins, or she is at least on her way there. But this is different. This new friend is someone from a similar age, at least in regards to her reincarnated life.

Thalia Grace, daughter of Zeus. From what Athena knows, she'll be a good friend, if Thalia's relationship with Annabeth is anything to compare to. Through the glass, Thalia motions to Pallas and they both rise to their feet. When the two of them slip into a familiar stance, a sparring stance, Athena frowns. What are they doing?

They have no weapons, but they aren't doing hand-to-hand. The stances aren't exactly right for that. So what could they possibly be doing? When sparks appear in Thalia's hand and droplets of water in Pallas', she gets her answer. They're sparring, yes. With their powers, not any physical weapon.

The sparks in Thalia's hands lengthen into a spear, Pallas' water following likewise. Athena catches it as Pallas narrows her eyes at Thalia's spear, likely realizing the same thing Athena does. Lightning and water, Pallas will have a disadvantage, her water will channel the electricity from Thalia's spear.

Pallas frowns down at her spear and moves to touch it, twisting her hands over the water in a strange motion. Athena leans closer to the looking glass, trying to figure out what she's doing. Beneath her hand, right where Pallas would hold the spear, the water is becoming cloudy. It condenses, wrapping around the spot in what looks to be a thin layer.

When Pallas tilts the spear slightly, Athena's suspicions are proved correct. She can see through the water of the weapon, even through the point where the water is cloudy. Whatever it was that was causing it, that substance is now encasing the outside of the spear's shaft. For a moment, Athena doesn't know why Pallas did that, but the answer is quick to come.

With how clear the water is, even through the mirror, and the color of that substance, Pallas must have pulled the impurities of the water to form a handhold. But that wasn't necessary, so why did she do it? Athena stiffens, her mind whirling as she watches Pallas spin the spear in her hand, moving to attack Thalia.

Pallas purified the water. Water conducts electricity, but only when its impure. She not only has made herself a gripping point on the spear, she has also protected herself from electricity channeled through her weapon. It's a clever move, very clever of her. Thalia may not even know what Pallas has done, she may still think she has the advantage.

Indeed, Pallas seems to be banking on that, due to the way she lunges forward. Thalia is too shocked to react, so Pallas' spear grazes against the hunter's leg, leaving a trail of wet fabric in its wake.Thalia flinches at the cold water and shoots a glare at Pallas, saying something that Athena can't hear.

But when Pallas flashes a grin in response to whatever Thalia had said, Athena knows it wasn't anything bad. She moves again, twisting the spear to try and sneak past Thalia's guard. The other girl manages to block it this time, the lightning that forms her spear crackling when it makes contact with the water.

She makes to grin, but when Pallas doesn't react to the lightning, Thalia's smile slips away to a confused expression. She says something and Pallas responds, her own smile blooming across her face. Thalia tosses her head and retaliates, trying to push Pallas back onto the defensive.

Pallas blocks once, twice, and again, her movements as fluid as they've been her entire life. When she's sparred with the staffs, she has almost been there, but not quite. There was something that put her on edge that isn't there now, and she's glad for it. This will help Pallas, she's sure of it.

It will let her spar properly, train properly, without triggering her trauma, so it will let her heal and move back to what she's used to. There is no reason for her to think this sparring with their own powers will do anything but that. Not with how Pallas is moving, not with how her eyes are shining in a way they haven't quite done since before that horrible day.

The joy in her fighting, it's back, at least in this situation. And Athena is glad of it. She smiles again at what she sees in the looking glass and turns away at the sound of air moving. An owl flaps in, landing on her shoulder and twisting to nibble on her ear. She runs a finger down its chest feathers.

"What is it, winged one?"

"The gold one is asking for you."

Athena frowns. "The gold one?"

The owl chitters. "Your chick. The gold one. The mate of the sea."

"You mean Annabeth?"

"Yes yes."

Athena sighs and flicks her hand towards the glass, dismissing the image. "Lead me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think it was clever of Pallas to purify the water? In your opinion, would that work? What do you think Annabeth wants to speak with her mother about? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out